Why are coral colors so dull in fish stores?

ebranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie question. I have a couple of reputable fish stores that sell quite a bit of corals. But overall, the corals, while very healthy looking, appear very dull and almost colorless. Is this just a result of the light spectrum used in stores? Something else?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I haven't really noticed washed out colors at stores I've been to... maybe they use a whiter light spectrum? A lot of the super vivid pics you see online are captured under blue light, because corals have fluorescent proteins that really shine under blue light.

It could also be that they're bleaching, or that they're stressed. Is it mostly LPS or SPS that you see faded?

OP
OP
E

ebranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I haven't really noticed washed out colors at stores I've been to... maybe they use a whiter light spectrum? A lot of the super vivid pics you see online are captured under blue light, because corals have fluorescent proteins that really shine under blue light.

It could also be that they're bleaching, or that they're stressed. Is it mostly LPS or SPS that you see faded?
All of them. SPS, LPS, softies. They just look very dull. Even the zoas just look very dark and almost brownish. The lights in both stores definitely look like they or on the white side, at least to the eye.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends some Lfs really don’t care too much others specialize. I think stress also gots something to do with it
That certainly could be a factor! I bought a lovely tan cabbage coral from a store a couple of months ago. Two months on, and it's turning a neon green in my Evo. I guess that they're not too invested in caring for stock that has a high turnover with even mediocre lighting.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda strange they aren't running them in primarily blues just put them in the best light....no pun intended :) Every LFS I have ever been to that sells coral, they are drenched in nothing but blues.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking about dedicated fish stores, or general pet stores that also carry fish and corals, ie. Petco?

Petco does not have the proper lighting for corals. They don't use the actinic and blue spectrum that makes coral "pop".

But if a "real" fish store doesn't, that would be surprising. Every LFS I frequent does.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking about dedicated fish stores, or general pet stores that also carry fish and corals, ie. Petco?

Petco does not have the proper lighting for corals. They don't use the actinic and blue spectrum that makes coral "pop".

But if a "real" fish store doesn't, that would be surprising. Every LFS I frequent does.
The "LFS" closest to me -- a ten-hour drive away -- does not. They have blues, but the lighting is kind of dingy overall, and it's therefore somwhat difficult to judge true coral colour on display. I typically buy coral from them only on impulse when I'm there for frozen fish food and other supplies. The online sellers in Canada do a pretty good job of displaying their WYSIWYG corals under standard aquarium lighting spectrums, and I haven't yet been disappointed by any frags that I've bought through them.

OP
OP
E

ebranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ha, no, I would not have described Pedro and other chain stores as reputable when it comes to fish and corals. Both of these stores are specifically geared toward fish and corals. Both are very well regarded and highly rated. They have a couple of display tanks where the corals look much better in terms of color. But their tanks with the coral they are selling are...meh.

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, at my lfs they colors are more vibrant then at home. Probably due to the lights.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search for a youtube video by reef builders on what different colour lights do to corals.as question you asking, i also asked myself and watching this video givee the answer

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure if this correct way to link a video,probably isnt but look top video in screenshot.this the video im on about

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210428-205432_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210428-205432_Google.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 32

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back