OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you pretty much nailed this one.
Shrooms where getting nutrients from food. He stop feeding and they are cupping using energy from light.
I've been flirting with low phosphates in a new tank transfer. Even bottomed out once or twice. Some of my shrooms response where to immediately cup as soon as they smelt chun in the water because they where hungry and ulns wasn't providing enough.
I do think alk is concern. Randy made pretty good point to me that yes my ahroomz aren't using cal and alk as much but all my shelled critters and coraline are. So I quit arguing haha
Regular feeding will most likely fix this for sure.
Just mixing up some right now

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a second thought, and mind you I have no experience here, but if they do the cup only when you feed, I’m inclined to believe it is to direct food to their mouth. Laying out flat would be the best way for them to absorb light energy. Cupping should effectively angle the surface away from the light, decreasing the amount of energy being absorbed. Much the way a solar panel works. That leads me to conclude that the cupping posture would not be a response to too little light , is possibly a response to too much light, or simply a method of directing food into their mouth.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a second thought, and mind you I have no experience here, but if they do the cup only when you feed, I’m inclined to believe it is to direct food to their mouth. Laying out flat would be the best way for them to absorb light energy. Cupping should effectively angle the surface away from the light, decreasing the amount of energy being absorbed. Much the way a solar panel works. That leads me to conclude that the cupping posture would not be a response to too little light , is possibly a response to too much light, or simply a method of directing food into their mouth.
Shrooms usually have very obvious responses to too much light. generally they curl up and shrink. Some types, like the discosomas, also develop oxide radicals that resemble white "bubble" growths

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricordiameter.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back