Why are my nitrates high in the morning?

omar jawad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question has been posted in a few other groups. Strange thing happening in my tank. I test nitrates every Saturday morning around 7:30. For the last three weeks, I've been getting a very high reading which is above the 62# on the RedSea Pro Nitrate kit. For a back up, today I took the water to my LFS and they read it at 2. That was around 12:30 pm. I went home and decided to try again and got a reading of 1. Ran the test again and got the same 1. Is it possible that my tank is having some sort of chemical swing that creates these variations? I'm going to continue to test in the morning for a few more weeks and see if this continues. Prior to the past three weeks, I was pretty consistent at 15.

KIKe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I think this is also related to these living creatures in the tank, maybe some of them are active at night or daytime so they either consume or produce things that can change the nitrates.

OP
OP
omar jawad

omar jawad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I think this is also related to these living creatures in the tank, maybe some of them are active at night or daytime so they either consume or produce things that can change the nitrates.
I think your right but going from over 60 to 2 doesn't seem right?

KIKe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm that really is a lot lol. How big is ur tank? And maybe when u first tested it something went wrong?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back