Why are surgeonfish and new/young aquariums a difficult combination.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was so concentrated on corals that I did not think about tang sensitivity to new tanks so I lost a few to ick. Now its better and four tangs are thriving without spots. What is it with the young tank and tangs?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Young tanks are less stable (especially with newer reefers)
2. Fish can get stressed by changing (unstable) parameters
3. When fish get stressed, they are less able to fight off infections, parasites, etc.
4. Many types of tangs are known to become stressed easily.

It's not "new tanks" so much as new(er) reefers who add tangs before they have learned what needs to happen to maintain stability.

All that being said, if your new tank already has ich, you might consider taking steps to treat it.

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its activity has gone away and all are clean. I have 70 watts of UV now and the ravaging has stopped. I put in a hortulanus wrasse a few days ago. If the ick is going to go active again it will show soon. But it also looks as though the tank has aquired a good rythm now. The corals have recently started a new growth spurt and all of the algae cycles seem to have past for now. If I see no ick in the next ten days I will transfer the UV plumbing into the sump. The extra plumbing in the tank is becoming an eyesore.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its activity has gone away and all are clean. I have 70 watts of UV now and the ravaging has stopped. I put in a hortulanus wrasse a few days ago. If the ick is going to go active again it will show soon. But it also looks as though the tank has aquired a good rythm now. The corals have recently started a new growth spurt and all of the algae cycles seem to have past for now. If I see no ick in the next ten days I will transfer the UV plumbing into the sump. The extra plumbing in the tank is becoming an eyesore.
I'd probably keep that UV hooked up to your system somehow. I can just about guarantee its helping keep the ich at bay. I run disease management tanks and UV is a core component in my situation to keep sickness at bay. I also feed a variety of food and heavily @ that, along with dealing with what's probably considered heavy stocking.

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably keep that UV hooked up to your system somehow. I can just about guarantee its helping keep the ich at bay. I run disease management tanks and UV is a core component in my situation to keep sickness at bay. I also feed a variety of food and heavily @ that, along with dealing with what's probably considered heavy stocking.
I will keep it but via the sump. Its hanging on the tank side right now.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never new there was an issue keeping tangs in new tanks? They aren't any more difficult than any other fish as long as you are careful to not introduce parasites. Tangs in general are more prone to carrying ick, new tanks or not unfortuantely.

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience has been that my established aquariums have not had spontaeous outbreaks. Its the first year or so where it jumps out. Perhaps its aquired immunity.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back