Why are there so many sick fish?????

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not read every post on here but it is true. Most posts are about sick fish. I don't think that is the retailers fault, I think it is ours.
I realize 99.9% of the people on here, especially Humblefish :eek: will disagree with me but my fish never get sick. I never have to quarantine, I never lose fish and I have no medications or crystal balls.
Well I do have a crystal ball but I only use it to find Supermodels
I think, and it is only my opinion, that most people don't have a natural enough tank and they don't feed properly. Tanks are to sterile and the food many of us feed is to sterile sterility equals sick fish.
Our fish come to us with a degree of immunity that is weakened because of capture, transport, holding, acclimating and selling. If we get the proper foods into fish immediately, their immunity will protect the fish from disease.
It has worked for me for decades and I am not that smart, so it should work for anyone. I can add anything I want from any LFS or the ocean and nothing will happen. Why not?
Now I will go and hide under a table because I don't want to get hit by all the arrows coming my way. :confused: AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only we had you're golden touch (don't need the Supermodels) lol, we'd have better luck, don't have your level of experience but I certainly agree that for almost 30 years we barely did the acclimation or testing just lost fish to age or now I've learned inadequate diet or age.( Per you) I've added sea veggies and Larrys and have fat happy tangs! My huge ampipods are grabbing hunks of whatever in daylight. You're spot on nutrition, ( landlocked in DFW) no fresh bloodworms. No doubt something is going on in fish chain though, to many reefers with more experience have had sick fish, thankfully, there's people here to help. You give us hope!!!!! An example to learn (major compliments!!!). Still don't want the models.......maybe the crystal ball haha
Thanks Paul B, Debra

OP
OP
lewis.maryann08

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been giving mine the good food also I didn't know about that I have learned from here also so I hope it helps me the blue hippo tang I bought came to me with ick and he is in QT I have him looking alot better. .what is Larrys?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debra, I am sure you don't need Supermodels but they help with my fish. I have one that comes over to feed the fish when I am away and I am sure the fish like her much better than they like me. Actually I think they just keep living to spite me. I don't have a golden touch, I just have worms on my fingers and to me, that is part of the secret but I don't want that to get out. :)
Lewis, Larrys is LRS food. I just picked some up a few minutes ago. That is one of the things I feed along with worms and clams, which Larry also puts in his frozen food.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohoooo, so my herbivore fish frenzy are getting worms!!! Any other recommendations for those not in Gotham? Bloodworm edition? I found your instructions for harvesting the brine, you're top on Bing for Paul B! BTW I do Nails for a living, a good long soak will take care of the fingers lol ( A natural looking sculptured nail is my specialty)

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if you read Mr Paul B, he's on the money with common sense (I've learned a lot by watching my tank, like potty training my labs, they kinda let you know what's going on). Plus, He's actually done dives w/the fishes, what a way to learn. He feeds like what's in nature, live food to promote gut bacteria! He likes Larrys Food, my tangs love it, my Bristleworms and pod critters gobble it to! Ps, my Hippo was kinda thin, now getting pudgy! I hope you're little one gets better:rolleyes:

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Debramb, the True Percula in Arlington usually has fresh blackworms in Stock, a few dollars for a tablespoon.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize 99.9% of the people on here, especially Humblefish :eek: will disagree with me but my fish never get sick. I never have to quarantine, I never lose fish and I have no medications or crystal balls.
Love it Paul! I think this is the key thing many people don't understand. It isn't that your fish aren't exposed to the same problems many of us suffer from. It is that your fish are healthy enough that they don't get sick from that exposure.
Reefs are not free of bacteria, viruses and parasites. In fact, they are loaded with them. The problem is when we want our display tanks to look like these pristine, sterile environments. Anyone who has gone scuba diving knows that isn't what you find in the ocean.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew my first dives were with trilobites so I have been underwater for a long time. That was before we even had air. :eek:
I want my fish exposed to parasites, plague, diphtheria and the common cold. It's what makes "Man" fish out of them, not Sissy fish that get Girly man ich. My fish know they are not allowed to get ich.
When I was in Nam it was a court marshal offense to get malaria so I teach my fish the same rules. No Sissy ich.

Debra, my hammer would go perfectly with your nail salon because everyone knows hammers go with nails. :rolleyes:

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like thats all we read on here what is happening?
I started my tank almost 2 years ago and loved it ..then
I go and buy one little pretty fish and bring him home and didnt have a QT tank well just in a bout 3 days I lost every fish I had ...
people buy sick fish I have and I have lost them also and thats sad ..but can the people selling the fish Qt them before shipping to our homes?
These fish are not cheap alot of them ..
I have to save up for mine lol so I really hate buying sick fish ...
Just seems like something could be do e for these fish so
You get them healthy
I finally learned my lesson about a qt after losing most of my livestock, not once, but twice. It is a must have in my opinion.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back