Why are they doing this

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
93d240e4c0b6ac268fdf6ff76ff0acab.jpg

My colony keeps getting these bulgy heads and sad looking frill, why? I fragged one off and it is now completely normal looking. Also, all of the other zoas in the tank looked fine. However, I moved the the affected ones to a smaller tank and now another colony has several heads that look like that. Que pasa?

ciscomania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would like to know as well. Some of my zoas have a umbrella shape close to your pic. What would cause zoa to do this?

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have long tentacles. Maybe the flow is too high, that's generally the indication.

Captain Jack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these things on 2 of my Zoa colonies. One is randomly growing on my flexible return water pipe??? Is this a coral or a parasite?

Steven w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these things on 2 of my Zoa colonies. One is randomly growing on my flexible return water pipe??? Is this a coral or a parasite?
Neither, it's a pest anemone called aiptasia and you will learn to loathe it lol. We all do, several ways to kill it I suggest you read up

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Aiptasia, and I bet there's more than 2 in your tank if they're posted up on your return nozzle....

My advice, berghia nudibranchs...
They will eradicate every last one!

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, aiptasia; get rid of it carefully so that it doesn't release spores into the water and add to the problem.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone truly knows why zoas do that. I've heard lighting, flow, all the usual suspects. Some just do it I think. I've had a couple Sunny D's do that, in the same small colony as others that did not. They went back to normal after a couple days. Only a worry if they don't go back to normal.

OP
OP
greenhorn reefer

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few don't ever change back. The one in the pic is always umbrella'd. If it's flow or lighting I'm fine with that. Thanks.

Captain Jack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, aiptasia; get rid of it carefully so that it doesn't release spores into the water and add to the problem.

Yea, I made the mistake of try to crush them with my fingers...not a good idea [emoji51]. So yea, they have spread, but the kalk paste works good, so I'm gonna just keep hitting them with that as I see them.

OP
OP
greenhorn reefer

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed some of my other zoas starting to disappear. Looks like there is a sponge growing over/near them. Any ideas?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back