Why can’t we get sticks to grow?

Global boom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see the tanks running 1000 Par, should be easy to list, might be 100 in the entire world. Don't want to get in a PAR fight, but the few people running 1000 PAR probably have every little thing dialed into perfection, and any little change most reefers would not be able to pull through to the other side of success. Again, lets not start a PAR war, lets get him to test the par so he knows where he is at. I don't think anyone would say a good idea is to completely ignore par and just hope you have it correct.
I agree not very many run that high. I was saying it for the people that say it’s not possible. Acros can take a lot of par which was my point. 800 par is in a lot of people peak with no issues with light. Thank you for the input I agree too with finding out what par is but it shouldn’t be the first thing to check.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acros have been in more 6 months...got polyp extension just very very little to no growth.... must be a parameter i cant test for is off....ICP will tell.
I have had many acros for 6 months plus that don’t grow then all of a sudden start

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree not very many run that high. I was saying it for the people that say it’s not possible. Acros can take a lot of par which was my point. 800 par is in a lot of people peak with no issues with light. Thank you for the input I agree too with finding out what par is but it shouldn’t be the first thing to check.

Slow growth but good colors is almost guarenteed to be too much par. Photoinhibition takes place with inane par numbers and to reach that in many acros you only need something like 400 (lower or higher in some others)

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no par meter...

Global boom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect example! Thank you sir! People talk about mature tanks because so many people mess up trace Elements and the major elements so they say you “need” a mature tank because it’s more stable but if you know what your doing you can have a full blown reef in a week. How do you think they keep frags alive at frag shows with only 1 hour old water? This hobby is stuck in the past and preaching inaccurate old information that has been proven wrong many times over again.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect example! Thank you sir! People talk about mature tanks because so many people mess up trace Elements and the major elements so they say you “need” a mature tank because it’s more stable but if you know what your doing you can have a full blown reef in a week. How do you think they keep frags alive at frag shows with only 1 hour old water? This hobby is stuck in the past and preaching inaccurate old information that has been proven wrong many times over again.
Guessing you quoted the wrong person but I agree with everything anyways. I was simply pointing out the OP stated they knew their par in a previous thread asking the same question but now claims no par meter

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled for months having any luck with anything other than very hardy corals. Tried to continuously tweak flow, lighting, and all parameters I could test for. Once I finally sent in an ICP test and worked with my LFS to follow the recommendations on adjustments (one major deficiency I had was iodine) I have had better luck with survival, coloration, and growth. I now plan to budget in and schedule ICP tests quarterly.

The advice I received and have had the most success from is that start with water quality as it is the most likely culprit and go from there.

Global boom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guessing you quoted the wrong person but I agree with everything anyways. I was simply pointing out the OP stated they knew their par in a previous thread asking the same question but now claims no par meter
No I quoted you for the lights hours. I just posted about mature tanks because of the guy who said they are needed.

Global boom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled for months having any luck with anything other than very hardy corals. Tried to continuously tweak flow, lighting, and all parameters I could test for. Once I finally sent in an ICP test and worked with my LFS to follow the recommendations on adjustments (one major deficiency I had was iodine) I have had better luck with survival, coloration, and growth. I now plan to budget in and schedule ICP tests quarterly.

The advice I received and have had the most success from is that start with water quality as it is the most likely culprit and go from there.
Perfect! Glad to hear maybe we can start inspiring people who have trouble to simply ICP for trace elements to fix their issues like you have done. You never hear about trace elements because people say “I do water changes my trace is fine” but in reality a lot of trace elements are consumed way faster than we can do water changes. If anyone else had to fix their trace to fix their tank please chime in. Trying to change this community to look at the most important things

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I had all needed. Tank is almost 2 years full
Lighting - 3x250w MH ( 8 hrs a day ) 2x or3 orphek ( 10 hrs a day. 4x80w t5 ( 3 hrs ) a day. Alk 8.0. No3 5.4 po4 0.04. Calcium 440. Mag 1300 temp 78 steady

flow 2 x mp40 , 1xmp60 , 2 x Neptune wav.
I am at Loss here. Sticks just sit there with no growth.

C137152D-13A7-427D-B7B0-8262852900CB.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
I don’t see any mention of ph which if low could slow growth. What is your ph and the daily swing?

Back