Why can you keep pipefish in warmer temperatures, but not seahorses?

ThePurple12

View Badges
Reaction score
They're both pretty much the same except for shape, so why do pipefish thrive in 80 degree water and not seahorses/why does vibrio affect seahorses much more than pipefish?

Is it because pipefish aren't captive-bred and come straight from the tropical ocean and seahorses, generally being captive-bred, have adapted to cooler temperatures?

Or maybe wild caught pipefish and seahorses just have stronger immune systems from being exposed to vibrio?

Anyone know?

Samina

View Badges
Reaction score
I may be wrong (happens sometimes!) but I always was under the assumption that pipefish and seahorses should be kept at cooler temps because vibrio becomes more virulent at temps above 74 degrees Fahrenheit.
Captive bred horses, more specifically H. erectus is one that is recommended to be at a cooler temp (think 72-76F). While others, such as H. kuda and H. reidi are usually found in warmer waters. So keeping them at higher temps (~78F) is better for them. From my understanding, pipefish follow the same type of recommendation. Dragon face are ok at an array of temps from cooler to warmer reef temps, while banded or Jann’s are more temperate and usually found in warmer tropical waters so they are recommended to be housed at warmer temps.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
They're both pretty much the same except for shape, so why do pipefish thrive in 80 degree water

Different species of both come from different places and different temps. It isn't a seahorse vs pipefish thing. I think there are people who recommend keeping ponies at lower temps because it can slow the metabolism of diseases and parasites, but I am not aware of anything that shows this to be the case.

and not seahorses/why does vibrio affect seahorses much more than pipefish?
I don't think it does. I think it may look that way because there are so many more ponies in tanks than pipefish. Though if it does, I would think it does because ponies are in contact with stuff via hitching than pipefish are.

Is it because pipefish aren't captive-bred and come straight from the tropical ocean and seahorses, generally being captive-bred, have adapted to cooler temperatures?
Nope. You can push some animals to cooler temps, but that range is variable and dependant on the animal. Some deep water fish do fine at warmer, but 'cool' reef temps, some don't. Catalina gobies don't seem to adapt well to reef temps.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

View Badges
Reaction score
Different species of both come from different places and different temps. It isn't a seahorse vs pipefish thing. I think there are people who recommend keeping ponies at lower temps because it can slow the metabolism of diseases and parasites, but I am not aware of anything that shows this to be the case.

I don't think it does. I think it may look that way because there are so many more ponies in tanks than pipefish. Though if it does, I would think it does because ponies are in contact with stuff via hitching than pipefish are.

Nope. You can push some animals to cooler temps, but that range is variable and dependant on the animal. Some deep water fish do fine at warmer, but 'cool' reef temps, some don't. Catalina gobies don't seem to adapt well to reef temps.
Thanks, that makes sense. What about immune systems of wild vs captive-bred?

Equalizer069

View Badges
Reaction score
They're both pretty much the same except for shape, so why do pipefish thrive in 80 degree water and not seahorses/why does vibrio affect seahorses much more than pipefish?

Or maybe wild caught pipefish and seahorses just have stronger immune systems from being exposed to vibrio?

Anyone know?
I keep my eretus in
I may be wrong (happens sometimes!) but I always was under the assumption that pipefish and seahorses should be kept at cooler temps because vibrio becomes more virulent at temps above 74 degrees Fahrenheit.
Captive bred horses, more specifically H. erectus is one that is recommended to be at a cooler temp (think 72-76F). While others, such as H. kuda and H. reidi are usually found in warmer waters. So keeping them at higher temps (~78F) is better for them. From my understanding, pipefish follow the same type of recommendation. Dragon face are ok at an array of temps from cooler to warmer reef temps, while banded or Jann’s are more temperate and usually found in warmer tropical waters so they are recommended to be housed at warmer temps.
i keep my erectus at 67 to 69 they all seem comfortable

How are you accomplishing water flow in your reef tank?

• Powerhead Type Pumps

Votes: 380 67.1%
  • Closed Loop

Votes: 19 3.4%
  • Return Pump

Votes: 317 56.0%
  • Wavemaker

Votes: 214 37.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 2.7%

Online statistics

Members online