Why can't I keep Chaeto alive?

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 91g system with an 18g sump - it's a Red Sea v3 sump with a dedicated fuge chamber. I have bio balls on the base and a Tunze fuge light for growth. I run the light 12 hours, at night when the DT lights are off. The tank sits at about 10-15 no3 and 1.1-1.2 po4 (I know, it's high!). I've tried Chaeto three times now, each time it's died off. I added another hefty chunk of it last week and I can already see it starting to lose its color and die off. What gives?

ecexotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe your over skimming stripping out any possible nutrients ?

D-code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue , is your ATO going straight in to your fuge as mine was with rodi water changing salinity levels, harming Chaeto when I moved ato feed Chaeto bounced back to life.

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my world, my nutrients are about the same as yours, lighting with an ai fuge and I can't keep the stuff alive either.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my world, my nutrients are about the same as yours, lighting with an ai fuge and I can't keep the stuff alive either.

i was thinking about dropping a load on a Kessil fuge light thinking that my light must be the cause... but my light has glowing reviews across the internet.

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... I’m wary to dose it with my ignorance
Just wanted to update you. Added brightwell chaeto fertilizer and things continued to go downhill, all chaeto is now dead. I'm going to try pom pom macroalgae to see if it survived, I'll let you know.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your flow like in the chamber the Chaeto is? That was my issue, I haven’t ordered any lately but if it’s not in a heavily flowing area it gunks up and dies from my experience.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your flow like in the chamber the Chaeto is? That was my issue, I haven’t ordered any lately but if it’s not in a heavily flowing area it gunks up and dies from my experience.

Just the natural flow of the water moving through the fuge and to the skimmer chamber. I put in a small wavemaker but all it does is suck the chaeto up and further the damage.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back