Why cant I make this Trumpet coral happy?

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking for help from people who keep candy cane/trumpet corals.
I have had this coral for avout 10 months. It was 2 tiny heads when I got it and the flesh went down to the base of the coral. It slowly lost flesh and was only around the top of the polyps. It has grown to 5 polyps and is splitting still, but has always had flesh only around the top of the polyps. I didnt realise how bad it was until I saw new frags from the same colony at the lfs. Here is a snapshot of my normal params, and they are very stable week to week. All of my other corals are thriving, but this thing is just barely surviving. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
20200526_165708.jpg
Screenshot_20200526-165849_Aquarium Note.jpg

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow is it getting? IME, too much flow and they will recede. I personally don’t think it’s your chemistry.

Light might be a factor, but I’ve seen these kept successfully under many lights and likely under many different PAR levels.

if this thing is taking a direct hit from a powerhead my bet would be that is the problem.

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow is it getting? IME, too much flow and they will recede. I personally don’t think it’s your chemistry.

Light might be a factor, but I’ve seen these kept successfully under many lights and likely under many different PAR levels.

if this thing is taking a direct hit from a powerhead my bet would be that is the problem.
That could be. I am running a gyre pump and a second wave pump on a 20 long. Its not getting hit directly, but there is a lot of flow in my nano for the sps. Maybe I need to give this thing to someone with an lps/softie tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back