Why Clownfish stopped going to BTA after let out of the box?

Nurse.Reef.Reapeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 3 clownfishes, 2 Davinci and one black ice. I have 4 RBTA, which I just got. I put them on the floating box. I caught the 3 clownfish and put them on the box. all 3 of them hosted after couple of hours. after day 2 I released the clowns and the nems in my tank. but its been 3 days now, never seen them clownfish back on the nems.

Any advice to make them host again? Do I do the same Box trick again and maybe put it longer?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let them be . The acclimation box actually harms them because they haven’t developed there special slime coat .

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with all the designer names but assume those are either Ocellaris or Percs, neither of which are a natural for BTAs. Once out of the confines of the box, everything in the tank looks/smells just as appealing as the BTAs. You can't force hosting b/w non symbionts, some people just get lucky. Add a Gig, Mag, or Mert and hosting will be near instant and constant.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit or miss whether they will host or not. Now way to force them to go host.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have kept most clownfish varieties and they all hosted a bta if it was natural host or not. Some i wish they would not because they were to ruff for a BTA.

I find tank raised if not brought up with a anemone can be hit or miss on if they do or dont or how much.

Some will love a anemone to death while other may decide in a captive environment not too. I have had ones that use them just at night while other just infrequently. It really depends with captive raised.
I have had all mine use a anemone at least some of the time but have known other who have had theirs not.
I have had some not use for years and then one day there they are in the anemone.

Really a clownfish hosts because it feels threatened.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with all the designer names but assume those are either Ocellaris or Percs, neither of which are a natural for BTAs. Once out of the confines of the box, everything in the tank looks/smells just as appealing as the BTAs. You can't force hosting b/w non symbionts, some people just get lucky. Add a Gig, Mag, or Mert and hosting will be near instant and constant.

Agree, whether tank bred or wild caught the best chance of having a host relationship is giving a natural host match, and we often see that clowns that ignored BTA will go straight into a natural host when that is provided.

Also be aware that as your clowns mature and pair up, the 3rd wheel may no longer be accepted

Kevin Beadle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish prefer hosting in a patch of utter chaos zoa's instead of the bubble tip anemone next door.;Shifty

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine (which I think are Ocellaris) hosted a corner of the tank for several months, then moved into a Duncan coral for several more months and probably 3 months after the BTA was added they discovered it. The female first and a week or so later the male moved out of the Duncan to join her.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back