Why delay ugly stage?

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been told there is no way to avoid the ugly stage and to keep my lights off as much as possible. Why wouldn’t I want to accelerate the ugly stage by having the lights on as much as possible before adding coral and more fish?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the idea is that lights off allows for some things that compete with algae to grow first. I don't know if this actually works. Certainly it is known that algae's main "germination condition" is the presence of ammonia, so presumably a tank with a more established nitrogen fixing microbe population would grow less algae or at lest grow it more slowly. But bare rocks will inevitably be covered in algae if nothing else is in the way.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more about a gradual cycle. If you do it too fast it may allow for something to take over too well and be impossible to get rid of. I like to start with copepods then ramp up the lights over a few weeks.
There's many different levels of uglies. Mild ones that last a week or two each leg and ones that cause people to give up because they can't beat it.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more about a gradual cycle. If you do it too fast it may allow for something to take over too well and be impossible to get rid of. I like to start with copepods then ramp up the lights over a few weeks.
There's many different levels of uglies. Mild ones that last a week or two each leg and ones that cause people to give up because they can't beat it.
Love the Echoes reference :):)

OP
OP
R

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended ramp up period?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with what looks good for fish and go up while you add corals. No need to rush. IMO a range of copepods are the key to a less ugly ugly stage.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back