Why did my clownfish die?

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I added a pair of really small clown fish on Tuesday and today morning one of them was dead. They were the only fish in my tank which was started a month back with live rock from the gulf.

Any idea why this one might have died? I checked ammonia and it is reading 0. The other clownfish is fine, but has a slightly sunken belly as does the dead one. I tried feeding the flakes (which they don’t care for as much), pe pellets (which they chewed down on, even though they were too big for their mouths) and frozen small predator blend (which they did not touch).

Do you guys see why diseases or did it just starve to death?

817BBD71-6072-4323-8B44-4E71FDEAA91B.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Always hard to tell once fish is dead but possibilities are:
- already sick
- internal parasite
- aggression
- too much water currents
- brooklynella disease
- low oxygen
- poor acclimation

how did you acclimate/introduce the fish and for how long?
What is your ammonia-ph- temperature- salinity and what test kits are you using ?
Also are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i did was ask my lfs what the clowns ( which was my first ever saltwater fish) was eating at the lfs and asked them to show me them eating at the lfs and bought the food they was feeding to make it less stressful as possible for the fish and i had no problem them eating.but mine also wouldnt eat flakes but they ate artemia brine shrimp as ive been told most fish eat these.my clowns was tiny like <1 inch size.
I provided lots surface area for the bacteria to help the observation tank.
Hiding spots for the fish.
Internal filter and also another without the sponge just for extra flow but aimed it at the surface for extra gas exchange and glass to disperse some of it and get them used to strong currents in the dt .
Sick fish dont eat so well just like humans dont also.im no expert on saltwater fish dieseses so will not give advice on that.
Goodluck on your new fish when you get them if you do ^_^

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tankmates: 4 trochus snails

Acclimation: Temp acclimation by floating for 30 min.

Tank parameters:
Salinity: 1.025 (they come from 1.025)
Ph: 8.2 (I have only checked during the day and I leave a window open during the day)
Temp: 78.5
Ammonia: 0 (API)
Nitrite: 0 (API)
Nitrate: ~0 (API)

Using RODI water only

I have been feeding the other clownfish intermittently today. His belly is not looking as bad now.

I increased the flow to more than double yesterday evening. I wonder if that had an effect.

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The LFS could not find any specific cause and did not find any ammonia in the water, so they replaced the fish with another one.

I temp acclimated + drip acclimated this time. Will try feeding smaller portions two times a day.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS could not find any specific cause and did not find any ammonia in the water, so they replaced the fish with another one.

I temp acclimated + drip acclimated this time. Will try feeding smaller portions two times a day.
Aw thats good of the lfs.
As guess they didnt have to replace the fish but i find most lfs do replace.but i never bought really expensive fish,as would be different story of £ 1000.00 fish pffft but glad they replaced and better luck this time buddy

Back