Why did my Euphyllia (Hammer and Torch) corals die?

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my Hammer and Torch coral have waisted away in the last few weeks. All my other corals are thriving. My most recent water test (using Hanna testers) were as follows: Calcium 541, Nitrate 5, Phosphate 0, and ALK 8.6. Recently battled red cyno outbreak over the last few weeks using a combination of vinegar dosing(20ml per week) and Microbacter7. I would appreciate input as I would like to replace these corals however I am reluctant until I know they have a good chance of surviving.

Justin Aretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing can survive with zero available phosphates, though I’d guess that this isn’t your primary issue. Did they have any symptoms of brown jelly? More than likely a parasitic or bacterial issue. Any photos?

OP
OP
jpbeen

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing can survive with zero available phosphates, though I’d guess that this isn’t your primary issue. Did they have any symptoms of brown jelly? More than likely a parasitic or bacterial issue. Any photos?
The polyps are falling off. All other corals are doing great. Please explain why nothing can survive with zero phosphates. Everything I have read indicates this is the goal in a reef tank.
Phosphate (PO4)< 0.2 ppm

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many LPS like a slightly dirty tank. I shoot for 0.03 - 0.08 PO4.

OP
OP
jpbeen

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many LPS like a slightly dirty tank. I shoot for 0.03 - 0.08 PO4.
So I am new to this (tank start up March 2020). How do I balance dirty tank and keeping red cyno and other bad algae outbreaks? I just started dosing vinegar should i continue? If so I also used Red Sea Algae management to help with the cyno outbreak dosing 5ml daily in a Red Sea 525XL tank. Should I make this a regular treatment with or without vinegar?

OP
OP
jpbeen

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While reading on coral care this is what I see time and again; is this incorrect information?
  • Phosphates: 0, zero. Phosphates are the worst of all and all corals hate them.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thru recent years there has been more focus on phosphates and what corals like and dislike..it’s been said now that all corals like a little dirty water meaning phosphates between .03-.1 seems to be the range you should shoot for. Also phosphates swings can do as much damage to corals as alk..

I can attest to having corals die like crazy for a year or so and I could never figure it out until I got my phosphates in line and stable, now I have not had a coral die in 6 months.

I can also tell you that your alk maybe a little high as when you have low nutrients corals seem to be happy with low alk

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True zero phosphates cause issues in tanks, I lost all my sps due to very low po4, which caused cyano (red algae) also too high of phosphates not only promote algae and cause corals to struggle to grow.i had been dosing phosphates to help raise them, I now have phosphates and my lps look alot better, not perfect or thriving though. I went too far the other way. So just trying to find the perfect balance for my tank.

Justin Aretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While reading on coral care this is what I see time and again; is this incorrect information?
  • Phosphates: 0, zero. Phosphates are the worst of all and all corals hate them.
This is very, very untrue. Phosphorus is a basic building block to all life forms on a molecular level

OP
OP
jpbeen

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thru recent years there has been more focus on phosphates and what corals like and dislike..it’s been said now that all corals like a little dirty water meaning phosphates between .03-.1 seems to be the range you should shoot for. Also phosphates swings can do as much damage to corals as alk..

I can attest to having corals die like crazy for a year or so and I could never figure it out until I got my phosphates in line and stable, now I have not had a coral die in 6 months.

I can also tell you that your alk maybe a little high as when you have low nutrients corals seem to be happy with low alk
Thanks for the info. I am going to start feeding my coral more often. Do you recommend continuing dosing vinegar and or Red Sea algae treatment?

OP
OP
jpbeen

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the great information you all have provided. Going forward what are you thoughts on coral feeding (how often?) Should I suspend vinegar dosing? (20ml per week)

OP
OP
jpbeen

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is the best way to raise my phosphates?

Justin Aretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the great information you all have provided. Going forward what are you thoughts on coral feeding (how often?) Should I suspend vinegar dosing? (20ml per week)
You can also does phosphates in liquid form. The brightwell phos is a great solution

OP
OP
jpbeen

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True zero phosphates cause issues in tanks, I lost all my sps due to very low po4, which caused cyano (red algae) also too high of phosphates not only promote algae and cause corals to struggle to grow.i had been dosing phosphates to help raise them, I now have phosphates and my lps look alot better, not perfect or thriving though. I went too far the other way. So just trying to find the perfect balance for my tank.
What is the best way to raise my phosphates?

Back