Why did my oscellaris clown die ?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sharkbait19 thank you, now it’s clear !

Can the blenny be infected and not show signs ? I’m just trying to see if there is a way I can avoid having to set up a third tank just for the blenny.
It can still be infected even if it doesn’t show it, it can take a while for some fish to even show it, but when brook hits, it’s bad. A cheap 10 gallon tank, a sponge filter, and some pvc is all you need. Mine is set up in a small corner, I barely notice it’s there. I’ve had all of these same questions before, the only surefire way to have success is doing all the undesirable stuff.

As for captive breeding concerns, it reduces the chances of many parasites like worms, but stuff like ich, velvet, and brook are all still prevalent. I’ve gotten them on my captive and wild fish. It’s more of the tank they were in before hand than where it was collected. You can buy pre quarantined fish from some online vendors, but those fish are typically much more expensive.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning my blenny was showing signs of brooklynella. I managed to catch him and put him into a 5 gallons hospital tank.

I put a rock and a fake plant, no sand, a small filter with no media, just for flow until I’m finished medicating, and a power head aimed at the surface for good oxygenation.

I had bought API general cure last year from the States (impossible to get in Canada) and I read it’s an appropriate treatment for brooklynella. So I dosed according to the package, ie half a package (93 grams) for 5 gallons. I will dose again in 48 hours, as the instructions say, then do a 25% WC.

Right now the poor little guy is just laying at the bottom. He was fine before I had to chase him (as gently as possible) to get him into isolation. He even ate this morning.

Hopefully the move and meds don’t kill him. I’ll update on how he does.

So the Evo is now in fallow for 6 weeks (until november 29th).

The blenny will be in observation for 3-4 weeks after treatment, and if he is well, he will integrate the 75 gallons, which should be cycled by then.

I will set up a 10 gallons tank for QTing the new fish. They will be in observation for 3-4 weeks and if fine, they’ll go in the 75 gallons. I plan on adding 2-3 per batch, and wait 2-3 months between each batch.

eta : I know corals are okay in fallow but are snails ok too ? I left the snails in the tank, as I don’t see what else I could do with them.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails are fine, just make sure there is food for them to eat and they will do fine.
Feeding also helps keep coral happy, as it makes sure the nutrient levels aren’t dipping too low, I made the mistake of not feeding in fallow and lost some shrooms due to lack of nutrients.

Back