Why did my sailfin tang catch velvet or ich?

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought him 10 days ago he was fine and happy, now he has severe ich or velvet water parameters are good, etc., 90 gallon tank hes 2.5", im gonna upgrade soon, tank mates are yellow tang(smaller but they got along) wrasse firefishes and pajama cardinal fishes, he actually chased the tang from time to time but no nipped fins tbh they got along 90% of the time

jorwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is what happens when you don't treat, had it the entire time and the fish is stressed currently. Keep it fed and it should recover as long as it is ich and not velvet, or QT and treat with copper or TTM. I normally never treat for anything but recently upgraded my tank so figured I would treat my livestock before they move to the new tank.

QTing is a pain as it requires a lot of extra space for everything and time to treat. But I enjoy my fish like I do any other animals in my house and want the best for them so I setup a 32g trash can for QT since I had an extra brute can.

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is what happens when you don't treat, had it the entire time and the fish is stressed currently. Keep it fed and it should recover as long as it is ich and not velvet, or QT and treat with copper or TTM. I normally never treat for anything but recently upgraded my tank so figured I would treat my livestock before they move to the new tank.

QTing is a pain as it requires a lot of extra space for everything and time to treat. But I enjoy my fish like I do any other animals in my house and want the best for them so I setup a 32g trash can for QT since I had an extra brute can.
What if its velvet?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to pull all fish and treat if it's velvet, run the tank fallow. How are the other fish? Any photos?

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its very pale not sure if its velve t, i think is on its way it happened so fast in like 12 hours

Attachments

• IMG_0148.MOV
    29 MB
OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a vid

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's upside down and breathing heavy chances are he's a loss, are you doing a water change right now with the water being so low? I would get flow moving to aerate the water. I can only see one video but in any event, you may have to quarantine the others.

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any shrimps who can treat/help the fish? If qt fish is impossible because of rocks and corals, shrimps are the only hope

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back