Why did Nemo get killed?

Etsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was caught behind anemone lines!

Now that I have your attention, plz help.

Hi I’m Etsi from Australia and I’m new to reefing. I mean BRAND NEW. I’ve wanted to set up my own tank for over 5 years but it was never the right time. I’m now in my own place, no dogs or other pets and I’ve got savings to finally get my dream reef tank happening!

Where the hell do I start? Is there a simple explanation to everything I need to know and what I need to get? Is there a place in Australia that does a fully set up tank that’s good quality?

Get use to my name guys because there’s gonna be a fair few posts coming while I commence my reef journey! And I’m so excited I could explode!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Esti to R2R!

Suggest before you begin that you spend some time researching the hobby right here on this site. Plenty of threads to get your started and help you make great choices in your reefing setup. Good luck!

EB873A97-6A82-4CAB-8455-6762FD271D2D.gif

Last edited:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome! You will fit right in with that joke. I do not know Australia as I am in the center of the USA, but we have some Ausies on here that may be able to help you out.

To get started, as stated, do some research. It will be exhausting, overwhelming, mind boggling, over the top, and just plain annoying at times. But, it will pay in the long run to take your time and do it right.

Quite a few threads on getting started. My suggestion first is see what types of animals interest you. What would you like to keep? Then, look at what system you can afford. Do they match up? If not, research what will work in your system and then find the animals you want to keep. Set up from that point.

Now, we all change over time on our animals we keep. Just happens, but it is a good start. Good luck!

Will be waiting for more questions.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Esti!

There are plenty of awesome articles on here that you can learn from! Also, check out BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) on YouTube. They have some awesome beginner videos.

Is there a place in Australia that does a fully set up tank that’s good quality?
Not really sure. Can you order things easily online where you live? If it's in your budget, I would definitely look into an AIO (All In One) system.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there will be a handful of things that you will want to learn right away. the number one thing is the cycling of a tank. there are tons of threads here on that, as far as cycling a tank, and all of them are from people that were new to the hobby. tank cycling is preparing the tank, before putting fish in, to make it so that toxic ammonia gets converted to non toxic nitrates.
other than that, it will just come down to what kind of questions you might have

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did Nemo die? His father killed him (search for this alternate theory behind Finding Nemo at your own peril of crushing your cherished childhood memories).

CADE is awesome. I wish we could get CADE here in Canada.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Definitely watch the BRSTV 52 Weeks of reefing on Youtube. I'm sure the Aussie reefing community is plentiful; Parkers Reef (youtube) and Gallery Aquatica ( a store / youtube) are great resources.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think a key point of failure starts in the first month when new comers try to fast track the start up cycle.

its all about balance,time and being consistent.

think about your tank size you want and start from their with researching how much you can fit into the tank at the max.

Look into knowing your metrics for the water is key. Accepting and knowing that saltwater hobby isnt cheap. going cheap can lead to larger issues down the road that will cost you more.
Also will you be getting a fish only tank or doing corals. this can impact the way your going to have to keep your tank metrics.

OP
OP
Etsi

Etsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcomes and all your replies. I’ve just surfaced from binging BRSTV

I would love a smaller tank to fit a certain corner of my house (in the dining room so I can look at it while cooking and eating), however I have read that smaller tanks tend to have a higher fail rate so I worry about that a bit. I’ve got 56cm from the wall to the window so I think a 50cm cube is what I’m looking at getting. Ideally an all in one so I’ll make my way to my nearest shop and see what they’ve got.

I’m thinking a max of 80lt and I would mainly like to keep coral (still researching on which ones for now) with maybe a couple of fish as my mate Ryan from BRSTV suggests tangs for the cleaning purpose.

I’ve seen the Cade, Red Sea and Aqua Medic here on Australia websites. Do I have to be careful with what brands/quality of the AIO’s pumps etc are? I don’t want to have to be upgrading elements of my tank once spending 1-2k, or even worse have things go wrong quickly.

Blaxsun how do the CADEs compare to the other 2 I’ve mentioned? Are they seen as one of the better systems?

Thanks again for the love guys!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What other fish were in with your clown ?

OP
OP
Etsi

Etsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did Nemo die? His father killed him (search for this alternate theory behind Finding Nemo at your own peril of crushing your cherished childhood memories).

CADE is awesome. I wish we could get CADE here in Canada.

Hahaha I’ve seen these on other Disney movies. I can live with others but I refuse to read about any on Finding Nemo!

Yea I stumbled on CADE while researching tanks. Are they better than the other Red Sea and Aqua Medic?

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. My suggestion regarding starting is to decide what you want in the tank: which fish, corals, etc and let that dictate what size tank and equipment you need. My mistake... I chose a 20 gallon based on what I thought I could handle and fit on my furniture. In hindsight, that was probably wrong. I love my 20 gallon tank, but it is small for some of the things I find myself wanting.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I stumbled on CADE while researching tanks. Are they better than the other Red Sea and Aqua Medic?
I’m not familiar with Aqua Medic, and while I do like my Red Sea - I think the CADE is superior in all respects (particularly the plumbing, cable management, stand and accessibility). As I said, if I could get a CADE in Canada that would’ve been my first choice.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, the best thing to learn from in my opinion is this website and bulk reef supply YouTube channel if you watch even 1/4 of the videos they have you will feel like a pro reefer in no time.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part of Aus you from? I'm WA so can defs point in the right direction on this half of aussie land!

Another good youtubers is
Mr saltwater, tidal garden, reefdudes and mike nguyen.

You could get away with a small timoni, bristle, kole tang for some years!

Depending if your looking for cabinet and stand, sump, etc you got aqua one build some nice tanks. cade are really good! Ocean free for the back filtration no stand as cheaper options.

What kind of coral do you want? As ligjting will matter depending what you want to keep :)

Nano doesnt have to be hard, just keep it stable and to start with maybe get an ATO? I had a nano and longest i left it before topping back up evap water was about 3 weeks, nothing died thankfully! Water changes are easier and cheaper as well.

Happy reefing! Just wish i had more rl friends that were into the hobby lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back