Why do coralife UV sterilizer keep failing

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought i would post this to possibly help others. I've now had 2x coralife 9 or 13 watt twist sterilizers. Both have failed in the exact same way, i noticed that the little sightglass was no longet glowing so i thought that the bulb was blowm. Opened up the bulb compartment and it was full of rusty water. Somehow the seal between the glass and the plastic end is failing on these. It also seems like inside where the water flows there is also a chrome plated reflector-this cant be good for the water. Im now researching another sterilizer, just thought it would be good to post my experiemce to hopefully help someone else.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very well documented problem thats been going on for many years, when I was shopping for a UV five years ago I saw many reviews complaining of this same issue :( really surprised they haven't addressed this yet.

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my second in about 5-6 years, I thought maybe the 1st one was an isolated incident and picked up another. I thought that a big company like coralife would make a good product. What brand did you go with? I don't want to break the bank on this, I was looking at the large jabao units on amazon, they are 36W and under $100, I have heard of some other reefers using these.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my second in about 5-6 years, I thought maybe the 1st one was an isolated incident and picked up another. I thought that a big company like coralife would make a good product. What brand did you go with? I don't want to break the bank on this, I was looking at the large jabao units on amazon, they are 36W and under $100, I have heard of some other reefers using these.

This article may help.

Back