Why do Fish Die in First Year of Possession?

Why do Fish Die in First Year of Possession?

• Crypto(Ich) / Velvet

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Brooklynella

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Flukes

• Starvation

• Bullied / Predation

• Suicide (jumper)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor Water Quality

• DOA (mail order)

• Acclimation Failure

• Medication OD/QT

• Other (please explain)

• unknown

• Supply Chain Issues (e.g. cyanide collection)

• Total voters

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a 40 year absence, I got back into the hobby 17 months ago. I've made quite a few fish purchases, all on-line since the nearest LFS is 120 miles away. During this time I have started forming opinions about what factors are most critical. Before I bias anyone with my thoughts, I would love to hear what experience others have had during the first year of possessing a new fish. For that reason, I've left "old age" off the list since hopefully the fish we purchase have a much longer expected life span. Let me know if I've overlooked a major category. I'll edit and share my conclusions based on my experiences in a few days.

Please select what you believe are the three leading causes of deaths you have experienced.

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a 40 year absence, I got back into the hobby 17 months ago. I've made quite a few fish purchases, all on-line since the nearest LFS is 120 miles away. During this time I have started forming opinions about what factors are most critical. Before I bias anyone with my thoughts, I would love to hear what experience others have had during the first year of possessing a new fish. For that reason, I've left "old age" off the list since hopefully the fish we purchase have a much longer expected life span. Let me know if I've overlooked a major category. I'll edit and share my conclusions based on my experiences in a few days.

Please select what you believe are the three leading causes of deaths you have experienced.

Thanks

Two categories are missing: unknown and supply chain issues (including collection with cyanide).

In about 40% of the gross necropsies I perform, no cause of death is determined (without guessing). I've done fish mortality rate evaluations in three large groups of fish and SE Asian fish have a 40 day mortality spike that I suggest is from their collection with cyanide.

I've reposted this a few times here:

Jay

OP
OP
threebuoys

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize now that I should have more carefully worded my question for this poll. My hope was to get a sense of the two or three primary reasons hobbyists believe to be the leading cause of deaths shortly after new fish are acquired. I have a similar poll in the "Reef Aquarium Discussion" forum which receives a larger audience since this forum is often only visited when a reader believes his fish is diseased.

All of the choices in the poll certainly occur and need to be guarded against as best as possible.

As a teaser, in my experience, two choices that exceeded my expectation as cause of death are starvation and bullying. The limited responses to the poll suggest others have noticed these causes also.

In my experience, one choice that was much lower than I expected was disease ( if I discount the school of blue chromis I purchased which quickly succumbed to uronema).

I am frankly embarrassed by my experience over the past 17 months in terms of the number and percentage of fish I have lost. I will also say that the vast majority of deaths I've encountered occurred within the first 3 months I had the fish. I intend to write a more complete analysis of my experience to include in this thread.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back