WHY DO I HAVE 2PPM NITRITE WITH ZERO AMMONIA IN A FISH ONLY TANK.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in no way possible is this cycle stalled. Simple fish disease did kill a fish

reasons for the cloudy water: we need to see some getting fixed first, to know if you had the cause all along. a fix is above, we cheat blasted with uv.

installing uv does not boost a cycle meaning cycling isn’t the locus

we collect false nitrite read work threads, this is one.

...what?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can read Daniels link for details. It shows nitrite handled and clouding unrelated to being cycled. No cycling chart written agrees that this tank here isn’t cycled, but I read that in your post

the only reason I test this is to see if bacteria are predictable, if there are indeed cycles not done by ninety days it means they’re not predictable, cycle charts w be useless

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indigo, post a pic of your tank, we compare it to the one above in timeframe and occurrence like a map

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

same issue but see how it’s being troubleshot from a non cycling angle. At least we have some links to consider one way or another, directly related to issues.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion it’s dry rock curing boosting planktors of various annoyance, since we did burn it with uv back to clean and since Daniel was not using gfo, pellets or any adsorbents. Only rods feed and phyto were added.

if we used solid purple coralline rock this would happen less often imo

its all white rock pre cured starts. This is why BRS likes a four month leadup, seal in some of that curage with a biofilm then plant corals.

corals during curing = that’s where the fun is

Neoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 275 gallon system that has been up for 3 months. Today I found a dead fish, no apparent reason. Zero Ammonia. 2ppm Nitrite. 100 gallons of seawater changed one week ago.

How am I getting nitrite with no ammonia?

Seawater, originally cycled with Dr. Tim's. Never had any ammonia detected. This is my first test for Nitrites.

Also, this tank has always been white/cloudy. Tried Dr Tim's clear up with no results.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.
precipitation?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm talking directly to his question as to why he has nitrite. not why the fish died. Bio filter not strong enough to handle the load.
The tank has been up for 3 months. Its cycled. Nitrosomas double population in about 12 hours - so there's really no such thing as a "not strong enough biofilter" once its established.

Cycling is a red herring here. It has nothing to do with his issue.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back