Why do I still have Dinos??

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of salt are you using? My dinos went way down after I switched from Oceanic to Reef Crystals, but I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My theory is that they come in with the new sand. I also started with dry Marco rocks. I fought dinos for months and couldn't beat them until I took all of the sand out of my tank...I haven't had any issues with dinos since.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gernader

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What kind of salt are you using? My dinos went way down after I switched from Oceanic to Reef Crystals, but I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence.
I’m currently using regular instant Ocean, but I never had any problems in my old tank.

OP
OP
Gernader

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My theory is that they come in with the new sand. I also started with dry Marco rocks. I fought dinos for months and couldn't beat them until I took all of the sand out of my tank...I haven't had any issues with dinos since.
Yeah, it looks like it’s because of my new sand and new rocks. Hopefully, Dinos will go away when I increase the temperature to 83 degrees.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it looks like it’s because of my new sand and new rocks. Hopefully, Dinos will go away when I increase the temperature to 83 degrees.
Following. I believe I’m fighting Dino’s too they keep browning my sand and rock. I ripped my tank clean rinsed the sand. They came back in about a week. Since then I’ve moved on to dosing MB7 and added the Aqua illumination 15w Uv which has been going about a week. I would say little success so far even when I stir the sand and watch the sand turn white at night.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gernader - let us know how increasing the tank temperature goes for you. It seems that for a majority on the other thread, an increase in tank temperature was largely unsuccessful. However, more data points are always helpful, so you might as well finish out the experiment! Have you been able to ID which dino you're dealing with?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are 5 common species of dino we find in reef aquariums. Four of the 5 respond well to UV if sized properly, with slow flow into/out of the affected display. (1 watt per 3 gallons; 300 GPH)

As stated, large cell amphidinium are largely unaffected by UV as the stay in the sand bed at night. You woul be wasting money on a UV. And golly is this species difficult to treat. Probably best off to leave them be until they exhaust themselves. They are not terribly toxic.

There is also the "poor man's UV" which is just filter floss hung in high flow and high light areas. Particularly effective against ostreopsis. They love to cling to the stuff.Just rinse each evening before lights out. Picture attached. (you might be able to notice the UV in the background; I am pretty serious about knocking down dinos.)

Lastly, for $25 or so, you can take the guess work out of your species. A cheap, student microscope at 400X. Snap a phone pic and post it to the "Are you tired" major dino thread where there a dozen or so folks that can ID and provide at least a consensus view on ideal treatment methods. Amphidinium treatment still pretty experimental IMO.

IMG-4227.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up @ScottB! I'm a big advocate of IDing which dino you're dealing with and the student scope is always a welcome suggestion! In addition, there's a few of us on the site that have offered to scope and ID dino samples for free if they're sent our way.

OP
OP
Gernader

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Gernader - let us know how increasing the tank temperature goes for you. It seems that for a majority on the other thread, an increase in tank temperature was largely unsuccessful. However, more data points are always helpful, so you might as well finish out the experiment! Have you been able to ID which dino you're dealing with?
I will let you know soon if it works! I didn’t try to ID the Dinos. I know it is Dinos due to the brown string with bubbles.

OP
OP
Gernader

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@andrewey @Rick5 It looks like the Dinos have disappeared after increasing the temperature! However, now I’m starting to get brown hair algae! I just tested my tank parameters and I found out that I got 0 nitrates and 0.1 phosphates. I will have to increase the feedings and let the hair algae ride it out. At least, I’m happy the dinos aren’t present.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gernader Thanks for letting us know! I'm tagging @taricha, so your experience can be added to the data points he's collected. So far it seems that the temperature increase doesn't work for most, however for some fraction of reefers it does. It would be interesting to figure out if this is specific to the type of dino or how other parameters play into the success/failure of this approach. Given how prevalent dinos are and how difficult it is for some to manage, this is certainly exciting for those where it works!

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@andrewey @Rick5 It looks like the Dinos have disappeared after increasing the temperature! However, now I’m starting to get brown hair algae! I just tested my tank parameters and I found out that I got 0 nitrates and 0.1 phosphates. I will have to increase the feedings and let the hair algae ride it out. At least, I’m happy the dinos aren’t present.
Awesome!!

What does your cleanup crew consist of?

Can you post a picture of the algae?

OP
OP
Gernader

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Awesome!!

What does your cleanup crew consist of?

Can you post a picture of the algae?
My clean up crew is low right now because I just transferred them from my old tank, so I ordered more CUC online and it should come soon. Once I get them, I will have over 110 snails and 1 emerald crab. I can’t take a picture of the algae since the lights are off right now.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hrm....
"brown hair algae" is almost always just green hair algae with diatoms or dinoflagellates growing as epiphytes on it. Derbesia throws a party and lots of others come along for the ride.

Even if it were still dinos covering GHA (and diatoms is more common), the change @Gernader has seen means that either the dinos got pushed out of their normal niche due to conditions not being favorable anymore, or one kind decreased leaving something else more apparent.

OP
OP
Gernader

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
hrm....
"brown hair algae" is almost always just green hair algae with diatoms or dinoflagellates growing as epiphytes on it. Derbesia throws a party and lots of others come along for the ride.

Even if it were still dinos covering GHA (and diatoms is more common), the change @Gernader has seen means that either the dinos got pushed out of their normal niche due to conditions not being favorable anymore, or one kind decreased leaving something else more apparent.
Yes, it turns out it is green hair algae once I flashed a light on it. I think the dinos disappeared due to increased temperature and increased phosphates. Now, diatoms and gha are taking over. Hopefully, dinos won’t come back!

Garee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you have chemicals present while increasing the temperature? UV, param adjustments, lighting, etc...?

OP
OP
Gernader

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did you have chemicals present while increasing the temperature? UV, param adjustments, lighting, etc...?
Nope, I did not use chemicals. All I did was increased the temperature, no white lights, increased feedings to increase nitrates and phosphates, and I am sure the bacteria from the bottle helped too.

OP
OP
Gernader

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
By the way, I don’t have any nuisance algae as of right now. I even saw some coralline algae growing on the dry rocks already!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One "old school" method of keeping dinos at bay has been kalkwasser, personally I have never had to battle dinos in any of my personal tanks, but I have always used kalkwasser to handle a large portion of mineral demand

Just my two cents

an article by our own @Randy Holmes-Farley
It maybe older, but I feel it should be recognized as a possible asset on addition to other methods when dealing with a reoccurring problem with dinos.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back