Why Do So Many People Get Fixated On Particular Corals and Fish that are "Popular" at the Time?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I think that's completely different and makes a lot of sense to me. Like if I see an unusual color morph of a particular coral and it appeals to me, I'll definitely want that more than I would the more common one. It's different, unique, and gives the tank that extra bit of intrigue. I more mean for a small percentage of people who want things just because they are rare, with little else that goes into that thinking. For example, someone who is shown a pinstripe fairy wrasse (a gorgeous fish in its own right) and then a Squire's Fairy wrasse (similarly beautiful but virtually the same, minus the fact it's about 25-30x the price) and picks the latter not because he likes it more for its own attributes, but solely because it's more rare. For me buying something solely to be able to say I have it and you don't feels a bit shallow, and a strange approach to a hobby or life, but ultimately to each their own. I think we are coming from the same place, though
I agree with you! It shouldn't be about outdoing everyone else...it should be about enjoying the unique little ecosystem you've put time, effort, and money into creating. Sometimes something rare just adds a little touch of excitement on the inside personally.

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you! It shouldn't be about outdoing everyone else...it should be about enjoying the unique little ecosystem you've put time, effort, and money into creating. Sometimes something rare just adds a little touch of excitement on the inside personally.
Nope, gotta be the first to have that super rare ultra rainbow “insert coral name”. Then I’m gonna propagate it, corner the market with my awesome frags and become a billionaire. No way you’re gonna convince me that’s just the same coral from few years ago with a new name and photographed under different lighting.

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It amazes me sometimes how many posts i see talking about particular fish and corals that seem to be everyone's favorite or for some reason a "must have" for every tank. (Yellow tangs and now torches, particularly tiger torches come to mind). I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but doesn't it seem like the "eye of the beholder" is being swayed heavily by marketing tactics and other similar things? Personally i always thought the coolest thing about a marine aquarium was the endless variety of organisms you can stock it with and make it your own little world. (That's what I try to do by seeking out rare and unusual species.) I'm definitely not trying to tell anyone what should go in their tank btw but isn't there something extra special about your tank being as unique as possible instead of what the "typical" tank is in everyone's mind? Just a random thought i had...don't take it too seriously...
Im back in the hobby after like 6 years and its wild how things change. Torch/frogspawn are like 3x what they used to go for. To me macro algaes and gorgonians seem more interesting for the money . Also monti caps are classic and you dont really see many of those up on the coral sites

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im back in the hobby after like 6 years and its wild how things change. Torch/frogspawn are like 3x what they used to go for. To me macro algaes and gorgonians seem more interesting . Also monti caps are classic and you dont really see many of those up on the coral sites
Yea today me would have told me from 10 years ago, sell your stocks and buy euphyllia coral

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back