Why do wild harvested corals get the derogatory term "chop shop"?

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean as long as the prices are reasonable and they are marketed as wild corals, what's the issue? We know wild corals don't fare as well in aquariums but as long as they're transparent i don't see the issue here. The alternative would be to sell the entire colony which would be very expensive on that side of the world where you are...
That's the problem right there. They have a "live sale" and blow out these recently chopped up wild colonies and sell them to buyers who don't know any better. I've never seen any of them listed as "wild" colonies. If there was more transparency to it I don't see any issue with it. But 99% of the time it doesn't happen like that.

Some vendors are very transparent and you can choose what lights they are grown under etc. I'd love it if they separated even more by like captive grown, maricultured, and wild.

I'm not bashing anyone in particular. I'd just like to see more transparency as mentioned. But if someone is trying to get into SPS for example, and they order a bunch of frags from a live sale that they don't know are wild, then have an abysmal survival rate I just don't think that is good for the hobby.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the problem right there. They have a "live sale" and blow out these recently chopped up wild colonies and sell them to buyers who don't know any better. I've never seen any of them listed as "wild" colonies. If there was more transparency to it I don't see any issue with it. But 99% of the time it doesn't happen like that.

Some vendors are very transparent and you can choose what lights they are grown under etc. I'd love it if they separated even more by like captive grown, maricultured, and wild.

I'm not bashing anyone in particular. I'd just like to see more transparency as mentioned. But if someone is trying to get into SPS for example, and they order a bunch of frags from a live sale that they don't know are wild, then have an abysmal survival rate I just don't think that is good for the hobby.
I agree...i have no problem as long as they are in fact both transparent and don't sell the chopped pieces for unjustifiable prices

TheSharksDen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chop shop refers to a vendor or seller that brings in large colonies, chops them up into 100 frags, gives them a fancy name, and sells them for $100 a piece. All while the colony brought in didn’t even cost $50
Where would someone find colonys for sale instead of buying small frags? Any recommends?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back