Why does my serpent star has a crack on top.

TinyCoralReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does my Serpent Star have a crack on the top of it? Is this the end for this guy? You notice some white tissue on the closest side to be showing here too.
Doesn't take food. My crabs are quick to steal it from him (usually) and especially today when I tried to feed it and it barely moves and couldn't hold its food.
20210419_121435.jpg
20210419_121331.jpg

20210419_121435.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does my Serpent Star have a crack on the top of it? Is this the end for this guy? You notice some white tissue on the closest side to be showing here too.
Doesn't take food. My crabs are quick to steal it from him (usually) and especially today when I tried to feed it and it barely moves and couldn't hold its food.
20210419_121435.jpg
20210419_121331.jpg

20210419_121435.jpg
Welcome!

Deferring to others, but perhaps you might isolate him so he can get some food and take his time eating it if he isn't moving very quickly. Maybe you have a slotted container or even a plastic jar in your recycling you could cut up to make something with water flow thru it for inside your tank. If it floats when filled with water, just put a rock or something on it - its just temporary and just a thought... Deferring to others

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure about the crab, but we're glad you're here. Let's see if we can get some help...

@Jay Hemdal #reefsquad

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely starved to death since you said he was having trouble getting food. Serpent and brittle stars rarely come back from decomposition of their main disk and its usually a death sentence. You can try to place some food underneath him but hes most likely passed the point of saving.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen that with starfish that accidently ingested an air bubble. Since the animal's mouth and anus is the same, and below the animal, there is no where for a bubble to go other than up through the tissue. I imagine it could also be caused by physical trauma from a tankmate. In either case, they usually do not heal from this. I also see some white material around the base of the arms, that looks like a secondary bacterial infection, not sure if it is related to the split or not.

Sorry!

Jay

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen that with starfish that accidently ingested an air bubble. Since the animal's mouth and anus is the same, and below the animal, there is no where for a bubble to go other than up through the tissue. I imagine it could also be caused by physical trauma from a tankmate. In either case, they usually do not heal from this. I also see some white material around the base of the arms, that looks like a secondary bacterial infection, not sure if it is related to the split or not.

Sorry!

Jay
I once used red slime remover. I did it before bed and dropped an air stone in the tank to oxygenate as the directions indicate.
I woke up and found a floating serpent star. His central disk had filled with air to the point he was floating at the surface with his appendages dangling while the return flow had pushed him into the corner and was spinning him like a bobber in a tiny whirlpool.
I wasn’t sure what to do. I took him out, gently squeezed the central disk between my index finger and thumb. I put him into my nano where he lived for another 1.5 years.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once used red slime remover. I did it before bed and dropped an air stone in the tank to oxygenate as the directions indicate.
I woke up and found a floating serpent star. His central disk had filled with air to the point he was floating at the surface with his appendages dangling while the return flow had pushed him into the corner and was spinning him like a bobber in a tiny whirlpool.
I wasn’t sure what to do. I took him out, gently squeezed the central disk between my index finger and thumb. I put him into my nano where he lived for another 1.5 years.
Yes - you can "burp" them, but once the bubble pushes through the skin, there isn't much to be done. Stars have pretty good regenerative powers, but not so much on the disk itself.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back