Why does my sock filter sound like running water?

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished filling up my new Waterbox 130.4 and so far so good for the most part. My main issue is my felt sock filter, its too noisy. It has the silencer but I still get a bit of running water noise. I have increased flow and decreased flow, keeping the over flow box levels in check, and I still get the noise. I am not sure if this is indicative of anything with regards to sump water levels or just a new normal I need to get used to. Any possible suggestions on cutting back the noise?

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the drain set up in the Waterbox (Duran, Herbie, etc)? It does have a gate valve on main drain?

Return pump style? Dc / adjustable?

Try adding more water. On my first sump set up it took a min to find that sweet spot of water level, flow rate, gate open position.

OP
OP
J

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is their own set up, it may mimic a version. It has an adjustable flow knob. Return is a Vectra M2 DC pump. It is only flowing at about 50%. Have tried up to 100% and down to 20%, still that noise. The flow adjustment is tweaked at every speed I have tried to keep the water about an inch before the over flow line and above the intake for the main drain line. Attached is a pic of how their over flow to sump runs.

pf-b88bd79f-c25b-4854-97b2-30a33a266603--web1800x1000ReefPlumbing.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't have a Waterbox tank so I can't give a definite tip, but when I hear water noise coming from a area like a filter sock, I think maybe the drain line is too high. Lower it so it's under water in the sump and too much water flow.
Also when you do adjustments, let it sit for a day before changing it.
Also, to some a little bit of trickling noise is normal.

Memisis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont hear anything when my main overflow is below the waterline. Not sure what you are working with in this sump though. I leave the backup overflow above the waterline so I can hear it trickle and indicate that somethings wrong.

Post some pics and consider a build thread o we can see what you're dealing with. Best of luck!

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the noise is the socks and not the overflow, stuffing the tops of the socks with filter floss helps. I have a similar issue in my red sea reefers.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you hear crashing in your socks, lower the drain so it's in the water and not above it. Your drain line should extend into the water in your sump roughly 2 inches so you do not get that crashing sound.

Any higher, it sounds like crashing, any lower, and it's hard to start the siphon.

My herbie is absolutely quiet, with the exception of minor level fluctuations that causes trickling down the emergency that is exacerbated by the length of the pipe.

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm just setting up the same tank, and I have this exact problem too! Did you find a way to fix it? The level in my overflow box is just below the emergency drain.
Just finished filling up my new Waterbox 130.4 and so far so good for the most part. My main issue is my felt sock filter, its too noisy. It has the silencer but I still get a bit of running water noise. I have increased flow and decreased flow, keeping the over flow box levels in check, and I still get the noise. I am not sure if this is indicative of anything with regards to sump water levels or just a new normal I need to get used to. Any possible suggestions on cutting back the noise?

OP
OP
J

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just setting up the same tank, and I have this exact problem too! Did you find a way to fix it? The level in my overflow box is just below the emergency drain.

It just naturally did over time. Not sure why it did it in the first place though. I have to deal with a little water noise either way now as I put a Klir DI-4 in and as the water level going into it goes up a bit, water cascades out the fleece on it a little. Shut the cabinet doors and I hear very little now. Enjoy your WB130.4 as its a nice set up. As a heads up if you don't want to spend $$ on a control board, I found expanding locker shelves do the trick. I have one up hight for all of my power bricks, the one below is my power strip. The whole section below that holds testing, seaweed, extra mesh socks, food, etc. That extra foot is worth the price upgrade from the 100.4.

Back