Why does my tank look like this ?

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone my tank has looked like this for a while now and I am trying to clean it regularly but I am busy with school and businesses e.g. so I don’t always have the time but I need a way to keep the algae under control consistently without having to clean every other day otherwise I will have to get rid of the tank which I obviously really don’t want to do
any help is appreciated

image.jpg image.jpg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone my tank has looked like this for a while now and I am trying to clean it regularly but I am busy with school and businesses e.g. so I don’t always have the time but I need a way to keep the algae under control consistently without having to clean every other day otherwise I will have to get rid of the tank which I obviously really don’t want to do
any help is appreciated

image.jpg image.jpg

You have answered your own question…you need to clean it and get on top of it, once you do it will take less time to stay on top off.

To reduce the time you spend on the tank, first you need to give it your time.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's in there for fish and clean-up crew?
I’ve got 2 clownfish a Midas blenny and a royal gramma cleanup crew wise I’ve hot 4-5 snails and 3-4 hermit crabs

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need a sizable clean up crew. Do you have 0 TDI water you're using for changes? How often do you water change?
I use RODI Water and Salt water from my lfs

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need a sizable clean up crew. Do you have 0 TDI water you're using for changes? How often do you water change?

I agree a cuc is needed, not the normal type but the human kind, to put a cuc in there would not help, would most probably make things worse.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have filtration? The surface scum can be cleaned up with more movement and filtration.
Like coralfishreef said, what sort of mechanical filtration (and nutrient export) do you have? Are you using filter socks or filter floss. Do you have a protein skimmer?

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto, conch and hydrogen Peroxide helped me fight the ugly phase.

A green killing machine UV pump would help with bacteria and algea blooms too.

Make sure you do more frequent small water changes as algea and stuff dies back.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto, conch and hydrogen Peroxide helped me fight the ugly phase.

A green killing machine UV pump would help with bacteria and algea blooms too.

Make sure you do more frequent small water changes as algea and stuff dies back.
I’ve almost had my tank for a year (next month is 1 year) so I don’t know if it could be yet ugly stage ?

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how discouraging it can be. I went through a horrible Dino outbreak and fought it back to white sand and crystal clear water. You've got to stick it out.

Reef keeping is a little bit like exercise. Early on its hard. You seem to make little progress and wake up sore. The workouts seem out of tune and clunky. But stick with it and in time the workouts are routine and you're feeling great. Give it time and just do the basics, stick with the folks here (very knowledgeable and carrying crowd) and in time you'll look at that tank with pride.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how discouraging it can be. I went through a horrible Dino outbreak and fought it back to white sand and crystal clear water. You've got to stick it out.

Reef keeping is a little bit like exercise. Early on its hard. You seem to make little progress and wake up sore. The workouts seem out of tune and clunky. But stick with it and in time the workouts are routine and you're feeling great. Give it time and just do the basics, stick with the folks here (very knowledgeable and carrying crowd) and in time you'll look at that tank with pride.
I’ve been waiting for a year and my family is getting really annoyed because it’s looks a mess a lot of the time

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve almost had my tank for a year (next month is 1 year) so I don’t know if it could be yet ugly stage ?

Your parameters are likely out of balance. At this stage you should see Coraline algae, small sponges, feather dusters, copepods, etc. Are you seeing those when you look closely?

If not, test and adjust. Do it weekly and just keep steering it back on track. In time, it will start looking better and better.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You essentially went through a new cycle, anytime there is a change in chemistry, stocking or maintenance it can happen.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been waiting for a year and my family is getting really annoyed because it’s looks a mess a lot of the time

Time to change approach. I've noticed also detritus in the center of the tank. There does not appear to be enough flow. Can you provide a list of your equipment and the latest test parameters?

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters are likely out of balance. At this stage you should see Coraline algae, small sponges, feather dusters, copepods, etc. Are you seeing those when you look closely?

If not, test and adjust. Do it weekly and just keep steering it back on track. In time, it will start looking better and better.
Yes there is red algae and in sure that there is a tiny feather duster on one of my hermit crabs shells

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to change approach. I've noticed also detritus in the center of the tank. There does not appear to be enough flow. Can you provide a list of your equipment and the latest test parameters?
Yes I think so
Light : Maxspect jump (not sure how to spell it)
Heater: got it with the fish tank so I’m not sure
Filter: same situation as the heater (thinking I mag need a new one)
I can’t remember my latest parameters so I’m going to test again tomorrow or the day after if I don’t have time

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back