Why does my tank look like this ?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
u know what’s amazing: Shadow_k counted his # of sand rinsed in the bathtub in the bucket, no joke, nobody’s counted them before.

he rinsed 120 times lol in a home depot bucket, in the bathtub, to make the sand that clean / final rinse was in ro water, he put back the cleanest rip clean I’ve seen in six days. He spent the entire duration of a Netflix movie rinsing and dump, refill, rinse dump refill stir with hand over and over now the sand is snowglobe, at that point it cannot recycle.

washing away bacteria was the fear we were trained on but irony wins out this time: it was more important to get the detritus out 1000% the bac that went away with the rinse were merely incidentals. Updated cycling science knows sandbed bacteria are just bioloading like extra fish, they’re not an integral link in the filter. They’re in addition to, competing for oxygen against, the filter (which are the live rocks, no tap touches them)

the only way to fail a rip clean is to put back a cloudy tank, but with tap rinsing you can over do it so much that no clouding remains. Dont use bottle bac new cycling science does not practice retail dependency. Cycled rocks do not have to be redosed with bacteria the original cycling bacteria remain as long as the rocks stay wet.
Any reason why you don't reccomend rinsing live rock in bathtub as well? I think 1yr mature rock is plenty eligible for tap rinse.
Its just as effective to spray rock down getting in all nooks and crannies with tap water.
Bring tap up to tank temp and fast 5-20 second rinse then place rock back in system water.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rinsing the bed tends to slow drain as it builds up sand and for the live rocks we always rinsed in saltwater to contain revolt among posters, I don’t actually think a tap rinse would ruin it.
We can barely get non seneye owners to trust the sand rinse part in tap, doing it to rocks too is just too much rule breaking lol

but we never needed much water sprayed onto rocks, we needed metal tool rasping to debride off attached plants which a jet of water doesn’t do as well, we never needed to tap rinse the rocks.

in extreme surface area removal jobs, such as all the sandbed + a remote sump or DSB/ a combined removal of filters job/ we only salt rinse the rocks so that their filter bacteria remain unchallenged.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rinsing the bed tends to slow drain as it builds up sand and for the live rocks we always rinsed in saltwater to contain revolt among posters, I don’t actually think a tap rinse would ruin it.
We can barely get non seneye owners to trust the sand rinse part in tap, doing it to rocks too is just too much rule breaking lol

but we never needed much water sprayed onto rocks, we needed metal tool rasping to debride off attached plants which a jet of water doesn’t do as well, we never needed to tap rinse the rocks.

in extreme surface area removal jobs, such as all the sandbed + a remote sump or DSB/ a combined removal of filters job/ we only salt rinse the rocks so that their filter bacteria remain unchallenged.
Ok ill err to the side of caution as I would NOT reccomend anyone using dry rock bottle back start up that hasnt cured and matured said rock in healthy system for any amount of time.. To yank rock out of tank, scrub and rinse in tap. I think that would be entirely counter productive.
There are acceptions to these rules that im surprised people aren't exploiting haha.
Notice I didn't say rules where meant to be broken.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back