Why does my tank look so beautiful after a water change?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your tank should look any different after a water change. If it does, it means that your water is degrading constantly which it shouldn't. Some beautiful tanks never get a water change because they are thriving ecosystems that have the correct amounts of bacteria to process and recycle everything.

Just my opinion of course. :cool:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure the tank looks nice after a water change simply because I disturbed the sand or debris that went into the column and the corals go into a feeding frenzy extending nice and large.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt water changes dont restore trace elements in any consistent extent. Honestly, this myth about trace elements needs to stop. There is no master list of trace elements that salt makers agree to. I rarely if ever do water changes and don't add "trace elements" and yet I have a tank crammed full of healthy growing coral. Last time I did a water change to lower potassium my tank looked no different and I had to dose phosphate.

Your tank looks better after a water change because it's removing DOCs like tannins and other things. A good skimmer can significantly clear these or running ozone. Or better yet...not having an over stocked tank producing more nutrients and waste that you are exporting.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back