Why does the Bali Green Slimer have Bali in its name?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the bali green slimer was introduced to aquarium trade by ORA corals(not positive on this though).

I have always assumed(and a pure guess) that it was originally collected near bali(indonesia)

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the bali green slimer was introduced to aquarium trade by ORA corals(not positive on this though).

I have always assumed(and a pure guess) that it was originally collected near bali(indonesia)
Pretty sure GARF introduced this one.

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have snorkeled several areas of Bali and that **** is everywhere in enormous colonies.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The oldest reference to the coral I could find by GARF was in an article from 1998, at which point they were already propagating and distributing it at scale. I know I talked with Leroy in the late 90's about it and if I remember correctly he was the one who came up with the name "green slimer." I don't remember where he got it from. Lol seemed insignificant at the time, and I was a teenager.

For what it's worth, the reef breeders obit for Leroy said that he popularized green slimer and purple bonsai, but that they were present in the trade before he got them.

This makes sense given that he was in Idaho.

@reefbuilders do you know more of the history here?

Back