Why does Triton need GFO? If I don't

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To question the Triton Recommendations, based on one tank's situation is a bit short sighted. For every method of reef keeping there is someone out there that has had success - There are people running successful aquariums with undergravel and bioballs still.

You are challenging the Triton Recommendation to use GFO based on one tank you have running. And your tank, is not the norm. Most of us would not operate an aquarium that is just frag racks without any decoration. You said you have 30 fish, but there are no fish visible in your photos, it appears you don't have 30 large fish that are creating lots of waste.

You are quite confident and boasting that you have designed the 'ideal' refugium in that 10g is able to support the needs of a 180g system.

Each aquarium is a Unique Biospace. And for the average aquarium keeper GFO is a recommended step of the Triton Method. Because it doesn't apply to your individual aquarium is no reason to challenge the methodology.

One of the benefit of the Triton water test is that you are testing 32 different elements and the rate in which these elements are consumed is unique to each individual system dependent upon the livestock contained within.

If your Triton test shows your Vanadium level is a perfect match to Natural Sea Water - Are you going to challenge why does Triton sell Vanadium since you don't need it.

This is a method for testing each aquarium and being able to adjust each aquarium's consumption to maintain the trace elements in natural sea water levels.

In reviewing just the few numbers of tests that have been posted you can see some trends showing up based perhaps on Salt mixes used, but each test is different and each aquariums needs are going to be different.

The Triton method recommends a strong biological filtration as a basic principal, Triton would like you to have a properly designed filtration system in which the filtration is capable of maintaining stable water parameters, and the Triton testing and additives is merely to replenish what your livestock consumes not what your live stock produces.

Triton also believes that the best food source for your corals is fish waste, not coral food additives. And when feeding a fish population capable of feeding a heavy coral population you sometimes have to use GFO to compensate the amount of biological filtration available.

Congratulations that your system doesn't require GFO to maintain your current Phosphate readings. They certainly aren't telling you to use something you don't need.

Dave B

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow sorry didn't mean to offend you. I think you took what I said a little more serious than I intended.

Last edited:

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Keithcorals do you have a post that talks about how your refugium is set up? I'd be really interested in learning. I have a 180, and a fuge but I'm still running GFO. I'd love to get to a point where I can take that off-line. Sounds like you have a great thing going!

Me to!

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a mod could please close this thread

I think it went a different direction than was intended I was hoping to discus Triton's refugium not mine and think it's distracting from there other threads.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to hear (read) Tritons response but I can't imagine it being much better than Dave B's vanadium example.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On re-reading my post I may have written it with too much attitude. I apologize to Keithcorals and didn't mean any disrespect to his technique, methods or inventions. I think it's great that he has designed a system that doesn't need help with phosphate removal, something I have not accomplished :)

Dave B

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have said. Every tank is different. Triton tank may have many different coral and fish load, different feeding ( the list goes on and on).

If your able to keep low phosphate levels with out GFO then good for you. Just becuase Triton does something doesn't mean you need or have to. That's the whole premise behind the Triton testing. Test and add supplement and/or media based on your results. If you don't need to control phosphates and your able to feed your tank what it needs to thrive then keep it up. It doesn't matter what Triton or really anyone else needs to do to keep phosphate or any other parameter inline.

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a need to close this thread. There is some great insight and comments contained within it. You should be very proud that you have a system that maintains low phosphates without the need for gfo on your particular system. I did look back and you mentioned at least three, possibly four times that your "design" indirectly seems superior to the triton design. While you don't actually say these words, your comments imply a certain design improvement over the traditional triton style design. Maybe your design is better, maybe it isn't. One or even several isolated experiments is not enough to prove such a theory.

You haven't done anything wrong or offended anyone. You just came off a little strong and this often results in people bluntly questioning your motives. In this case your motives might be that you are simply proud and wanting to show off a great refugium design that works for you. Like others stated above, this does not necessarily mean that it will work the same for other setups. Those containing different variables, different source water, different foods, stocking densities, skimmers, photoperiods, etc etc.

I will check out your link now and contact you if I have any questions. In the meantime, be proud of what you have achieved and even brag about it a bit, just not in a way that puts other ideas down. This doesn't necessarily apply to you but in a general sense, just because something works or is great, does not by default mean that similar designs or methods must not work. It isn't a see-saw where if one thing is up the others must be down. This mentality is so pervasive in our industry. There is plenty of room on the winning side for a party of methods or products.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back