Why don’t online venders show pictures of colonies?

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t coral venders like wwc show more pictures of colonies with their wysiwyg frags? They have a million different frags for sale that I have never heard of. Is anybody buying coral frags based on what these tiny photoshopped frags look like? Most of these frags have entirely different colors than the colony will. Sometimes you can find the colony pictures online but it is a pain, half the time there are no pictures, and it is hard to tell sometimes if the pictures you find online are that exact coral colony. It would be so much easier if they just took a picture of the mother colony and posted with the frag picture. I would probably buy way more coral.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vendors I use can provide pics of the MC if requested and sometimes do during events but u can always ask.
Yes but when I look at 60 frags with 0 colony pics. There are probably multiple colonies I would be interested in if they were shown. I’m not going to waste my time to ask 95% of the time. I just don’t buy anything. Some companies show the colonies, most of the time it is just useless pictures of tiny frags that look nothing like the colony. I’m speaking mostly about acropora.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Why don’t coral venders like wwc show more pictures of colonies with their wysiwyg frags? They have a million different frags for sale that I have never heard of. Is anybody buying coral frags based on what these tiny photoshopped frags look like? Most of these frags have entirely different colors than the colony will. Sometimes you can find the colony pictures online but it is a pain, half the time there are no pictures, and it is hard to tell sometimes if the pictures you find online are that exact coral colony. It would be so much easier if they just took a picture of the mother colony and posted with the frag picture. I would probably buy way more coral.
While some do, very few will

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly my point. Buy a frag, grow it out until you can frag it again. Most don't have any colonies, they only have frags of slightly larger frags.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think more vendors are doing this. Off the top of my head, I believe TSA does this for some corals, and I'm pretty sure TCK does as well for some strains. I usually just Google the name to get a general sense of what the grown out specimen might look like, but I agree it would be nice to see more often, especially when it comes to acros that look slightly similar.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even chop shops should take apicture of the mother before quartering
Yes 100%. The picture of the frag is only relevant to how large and healthy it is. Not knowing what it is going to look like makes the whole thing irrelevant.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 100%. The picture of the frag is only relevant to how large and healthy it is. Not knowing what it is going to look like makes the whole thing irrelevant.
yeah but prob with chop shops is that the incoming corals dont always look hot and they might not turn out that way in your tank I believe. I could be wrong

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah but prob with chop shops is that the incoming corals dont always look hot and they might not turn out that way in your tank I believe. I could be wrong
Maybe they shouldn’t be selling corals that don’t look good because they are stressed? I’m not buying them either way.

jasonvan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my lfs dont post colonies as they grow them to frag. especially acros. the only colonies i seen are the easy to grow zoas here

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why buy acro from anywhere but battle corals and cultivated reef…

Hehe

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why buy acro from anywhere but battle corals and cultivated reef…

Hehe
Support all these find vendors to help keep the hobby shops open! It's a Reefer's primary duty after water changes.

Episode 7 Duty GIF by PBS

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back