Why don't more people run a closed loop?

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they eliminate the need for powerheads? Just wondering why they aren't more common? I've never ran one but I am considering one on a reefer 750xxl.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think because powerheads and wavemakers have become so efficient, thus eliminating the need to drill more holes through the glass (where a catastrophic failure of a bulkhead fitting is a real possibility, especially if it's on the bottom). Those would be two of my guesses as to why.

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good point. I do really like my mp40's for their customization. It just seems having powerheads and wires running everywhere takes away from the natural reef look.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good point. I do really like my mp40's for their customization. It just seems having powerheads and wires running everywhere takes away from the natural reef look.
Agree to an extent. How natural is loc-line tubing coming from the bottom of a reef tank? Not that everybody plumbed their closed loop systems with it, but a lot did. Most people went to great lengths trying to cover up and hide that plumping, which made it near impossible to maintenance if need, almost requiring a complete tear down of the rockwork. Yikes.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest factors are simplicity and flexibility. A closed loop requires a lot of planning and can't be easily modified once running. A powerhead pretty much just needs to be able to be plugged in.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my years of hearing and seeing others with closed loops, the amount of electricity to run them was a issue. Of course now there's DC pumps that are more efficient. As stated, the flexibility of powerheads and wave makers have made closed loops less appealing. Plus not everyone is comfortable with a lot of holes all over their tanks. Me included.

Plus if you would ever need to change a bulkhead gaskets, a complete teardown would have to happen. Ugh!

ChrisRD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO both methods work well and have good points. I did feel it was easier to get a cleaner look with the closed loop setups and felt there was less maintenance, but I think the propeller and gyre pumps of today allow a much simpler setup and better energy efficiency for the amount of water they move...although today's DC pumps have probably narrowed the energy efficiency aspect a bit.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back