Why don't most aquarium setups have a canopy/lid?

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black mesh screen kit from BRS is easy to install. I only installed it to keep my chances of ( a cow jumped over the moon ) lol down. It does reduce PAR some but rather that than a fish eaten by my German shepherd hahaha

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gfreeman welcome to the Board! Of course your question is a bit like Coke vs Pepsi and strong opinions on both sides.

Personally, I have glass lids and a canopy. Few thoughts behind this. First, there is nominal (like less than a few percent) light loss through lids. Second, I had an open tank and as the salt water evaporated I started to find salt dust / crystals forming on the wall. You’ll also notice it in your sump if it’s in an enclosed cabinet. That was a deal killer for me as it was a signal as to where else could salt moisture or other stuff be floating around. Finally, I don’t worry about aeration because first there hasn’t been any factual proof that lids have a material impact on air exchange. Second, I have a sump and skimmer that creates a lot more turbulence with the air-water interface than the top of my tank.

Cool Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had a custom made canopy. Keeps the fish in the tank and also minimizes the amount of light overflow in the room making it easier on the eyes.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why people don't use lids or canopies. People would rather their tank look cool than to make sure their fish don't jump out and die. Tells a lot about someone's priorities imo.

Agree completely! I have a mesh lid and I’ve still lost 2 fish to jumping. Not that the lid isn’t doing its job - it has happened when I’ve had the lid off and was cleaning the tank.

I now use a piece of plexiglass to cover half the tank when I’m in there working. I also verify all fish and look at floor around tank when lid has been off before walking away - though sometimes I have to hope the Diamond Goby is just hiding in one of his caves and isn’t carpet surfing somewhere. One of the fish I lost previously was a Yellow Watchman Goby.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand not having a cover either...

Made some out of Home Depot window screen kits, didn't hurt the lighting at all.

Fish WILL jump, it's just a matter of time.

Even covered up, they'll find a way to kill themselves.

Had an enclosure made out of eggcrate I was keeping my Gem Tang in before letting into the tank for a few weeks, the top was barely above the water line.

My super male flame wrasse decided to jump on top and sunbath in the LEDs...

RUKelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am for a tank topper (mine is a framed screen mesh designed for my tank that lays on top so I can easily access the tank for maintenance issues) after several instances in prior years of fish jumping out.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the mesh route as whilst a hoot can make a tank look “smooth” it makes getting into the tank a pain and when putting corals in the tank you can’t really see into the tank. Granted it’s not easy to do that without a hood either it’s certainly nicer. The other thing with having a hoodless tank is that you can see the top down of the tank!
The best way to look at a tank is top down, you can see everything going in in it. And you have an excuse to use the whole of your rockwork and not just the front, you can see down the back and it just makes the reef have even more secrets of its own.
086916C4-790A-45B4-B028-4871D3983499.jpeg

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand not having a cover either...

Made some out of Home Depot window screen kits, didn't hurt the lighting at all.

Fish WILL jump, it's just a matter of time.

Even covered up, they'll find a way to kill themselves.

Had an enclosure made out of eggcrate I was keeping my Gem Tang in before letting into the tank for a few weeks, the top was barely above the water line.

My super male flame wrasse decided to jump on top and sunbath in the LEDs...
depends what fish you are keeping, , of course a fairy wrasse will jump.,..
i think a tank with screens looks worse than having a full canopy,
depends how you want it to look in the room.

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evaporation is good thing.

Yes, you need to top off, but, small sacrifice, great benefit.
What benefits? Water evaporates. Salinity fluctuates, harmful chemicals become more concentrated. What's the benefit?

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why people don't use lids or canopies. People would rather their tank look cool than to make sure their fish don't jump out and die. Tells a lot about someone's priorities imo.
This. I lost 3 jumpers. I went to the glass shot after #3 and had 1/4" glass cut for the lid. Turned the lights up a bit. Now guess who isn't losing fish and adding water every day?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a canopy, but 100% the reasons are aesthetic and ease of access. It can be annoying sometimes accessing things with the canopy. And the aesthetic isn't for everyone. I'm pro cover as theyre living things that should be protected, but I get it

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. I lost 3 jumpers. I went to the glass shot after #3 and had 1/4" glass cut for the lid. Turned the lights up a bit. Now guess who isn't losing fish and adding water every day?
some actually higher evaporation, allows more kalk in the topoff water. depends how your run your system .

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends what fish you are keeping, , of course a fairy wrasse will jump.,..
i think a tank with screens looks worse than having a full canopy,
depends how you want it to look in the room.
It really doesn’t depend on what fish you keep, all will jump at some point.
I’ve had clowns and dragonets jump, These are two fish I’ve seen most commonly kept in lidless tanks and I had a Spotted Mandy and clown in a lidless tank, the clown jumped and didn’t make it then the Mandy jumped but luckily I caught him and he did last 7 years after that. Ever since then it’s always been lids for me.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends do dose 2 part? or do you run a kalk reactor and calcium reactor?

ability to dose more kalk can be an advantage if you are in the second group , not sure on the 2 part users as ive never used it myself.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back