Why don't you have a NANO REEF in addition to your larger reef tanks?

Why don't you have a NANO REEF in addition to your larger reef tank?

• Money

Votes: 53 10.5%
  • Space

Votes: 48 9.5%
  • Time

Votes: 104 20.6%
  • Other Limitations

Votes: 46 9.1%
  • I DO HAVE ONE!

Votes: 253 50.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have started several new nano tank projects in my reefing career but they haven't lasted very long. My nano tanks were always in addition to the larger reef tank I already had and for me that was probably the main reason for me always taking them down after a while. Basically one was enough! But what about for you? Let's talk about it!

Why don't you have a NANO REEF in addition to your larger reef tank? What are the reasons?

If you do then tell us about it and why it's easy or hard!

image via @Tigahboy
IMG_20191024_210050_644.jpg

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt want a nano without my large tank to back it up. Too much as far as quarantine, needing tap water filtration, all the stuff/gear that goes into keeping a reef.

Last edited:

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already planning one, will probably be dwarf seahorses or something, I just don't want to spend more time taking care of another tank. If I could somehow plum in a Nano or another tank to my existing system that I would have Nano tanks in almost every room lol

Rocketfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a micro and added a nano... Looking to add something in the 55 to 75 range in the next month or so!

I will probably nuke the micro because it has a tiny undesirable clove polyp issue that I don't want, and will probably use it as a coral quarantine tank. The only thing it doesn't seem to bother is cyphastria and GSP. Everything else seems to shrink away from it.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What volume range is considered pico, and also what range for nano?
Im oldschool and all small tanks are lumped in as nano in my brain..
I believe it's 0-5 for pico and 5-32(?) For nano although some consider up to 40 or 50 a nano. There's no real definition that I'm aware of.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano (Red Sea Max) and a 4’x2’x2’ tank! Love them both but certainly a pain running two, I have all these beautiful large fish in my 4’ that just get too active or large for my nano. I mean, I do have the excuse of a growout tank (Currently have a blue star and naoko fairy wrasse in my nano, growing out to be in with the big boys).
Have been debating on upgrading my nano to 3’ or maybe 4’ and my 4’ to a 6’ tank when I get room for it. I’d love to have the Nano be a specific family of fish and specific coral species only tank (Tilefish & Goni dominated) if I can get it to Atleast 3’ long.

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple nanos, plus my larger. And in the process of setting up another one also! I love nanos, to me they are easier, and they give me the opportunity to have different things that otherwise I might not be able to have all together.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran a nano before I got the bigger tank. Don't want the hassle of another tank. One is just fine.

I have thought about doing a nano and just plumbing it into my current sump. I have a counter top right behind my current tank and a nano on that would look amazing.

If I did, it might just be a seahorse/pipefish tank only.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fallow/quarantine tank is my nano! It used to have a cleaner shrimp but he got a very strong appetite for Birds nest polyps so he lives in the sump of my main tank. Eventually if I ever stop working out of town I want to try Bangaiis in it and hopefully they spawn eventually. I don't know what it is about Bangaiis but I've killed/lost more of them than probably all other fish type combined that I've lost from causes other than shipping stress or otherwise arrived in bad shape.

As far as Maintenace it had slightly high phosphates for a while for some reason I don't understand, and the ALK will start to dip a little quickly even without large colonies in it but a 2-gallon water change every weekend and a small amount of 3 part non scientifically added into the ATO does the trick.

I had a frag rack but ran into problems the frag rack seemed to be ripe for hair algae that jumped onto 2 frags I had on it.
PXL_20211129_015350912.jpg PXL_20211129_015343958.jpg

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back