Why feed pellets?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped feeding frozen entirely a couple years ago and only feed decent quality pellets now. Fish showed no change in coloration or health so I have not found a reason to feed frozen again. I do hatch baby brine to feed corals though.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something not mentioned yet is the need to feed highly active fish 3 or more times a day (anthias, angels, tangs, etc). Most people can’t be or aren’t home a lot of the day.
By using pellets in an auto feeder they can keep those types of fish properly fed during the day, and feed frozen once or twice in the evening.

Basically what and how you feed depends on what organisms you keep in your tank. You need to account for their health and feed them accordingly through out the day.

Or a frozen food feeder :cool:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ate MRE's everyday for 25 months. I'd gladly take a human version of TDO over that.
Your in luck then
iu

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at the ingredients for flake and pellet fish food? Often times they contain Ethoxyquin which is a preservative known to cause mortality in fish :eek:

...According to the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), ethoxyquin is “considered to be toxic to aquatic organisms based on the acute toxicity data provided for fish, daphnia and algae.”...

Given that, why would you want to take the chance of risking harm to your fish?

Last edited:

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody once linked to a great article on reefs.com about phosphate in food. They even had a list of which had the most based on weight so it was a fair Ratio. Some frozen is definitely better than others. But I also agree pellets aren’t as ideal as fresher food like frozen. Same true with people. I’d rather eat frozen chicken than a pellet full of protein. I also think it’s a lot easier to overfeed more pellets. But I use them sometimes just for simplicity. If I’m in a rush.

jsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody once linked to a great article on reefs.com about phosphate in food. They even had a list of which had the most based on weight so it was a fair Ratio. Some frozen is definitely better than others. But I also agree pellets aren’t as ideal as fresher food like frozen. Same true with people. I’d rather eat frozen chicken than a pellet full of protein. I also think it’s a lot easier to overfeed more pellets. But I use them sometimes just for simplicity. If I’m in a rush.
Oh its definitely easier to over feed with pellets. 1 oz of frozen probably has 10% the nutrients as 1oz of pellets.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it’s about variety more than anything. I feed frozen twice a week,nori each day and pellets twice a day. Each one provides different things the system needs. A varied diet is more reef like.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it’s about variety more than anything. I feed frozen twice a week,nori each day and pellets twice a day. Each one provides different things the system needs. A varied diet is more reef like.
Better check the ingredient list of that pellet food and see if it has Ethoxyquin in it.

rezaktp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start my FOWLR tank soon, so im trying to get the best color for my fish.

Is feeding pellets (or any dry food) to fish necessary? I have read a lot that states frozen food; Mysis etc, brings out the color of fish.

Since pellets increase phosphate, Why would people feed it at all? other than being cheap ofcourse
Pellets work well in auto feeders. I use the auto feeder when I’m at work around 2:00pm, then I feed frozen in the evening

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feed pellets in my auto feeder when on vacation and once over the weekend. the weekend feeding is to keep them interested in it when i am gone for long periods of time. fish like any pets can get picky when spoiled, lol

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion good dry foods are just as good or better than frozen foods.

Ingredients like ethoxyquin have to be declared on the label. I think it is not an allowed feed ingredient in the EU anyway.

The composition of pellets can specifically be adjusted to the needs of fish, for example in the proportion of fats. More fat means less ammonium and phosphate in the water, a fact that is used in aquaculture.

The quality of fats is determining the quality of the foods. Saturated or rancid fats are detrimental to fish, no matter whether in frozen or dry foods. Marine fish need the PUFA DHA and EPA.

Dry foods can be stored easier.

Frozen foods are sometimes thawed and refrozen, maybe also during transportation. This may lessen their quality significantly.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen foods are sometimes thawed and refrozen, maybe also during transportation. This may lessen their quality significantly.

I've read this a few time, always has be thinking if people think freezing then refreezing a food significantly reduces quality what do they think turning the food into a power, then drying it to an inch of its life, does to it ;)

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read this a few time, always has be thinking if people think freezing then refreezing a food significantly reduces quality what do they think turning the food into a power, then drying it to an inch of its life, does to it ;)
I think it is similar to defrosting a piece of shrimp, refreezing it then thawing It to eat it. Not sure I would want to do that. However pellets are prepared to be that way so the is an intention and precautions are taken.
I feed frozen food just not as often as pellets. Convenience, cost, dirt in the tank, etc etc

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish that need dry pellets are the fish that normally eat that in the sea. :cool:

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read this a few time, always has be thinking if people think freezing then refreezing a food significantly reduces quality what do they think turning the food into a power, then drying it to an inch of its life, does to it
I have worked with frozen food and fish professionally for more than a decade. I know how "Nordseegarnelen" (North Sea shrimps) look like a short time after thawing.

In dry feeds for sure you have no bacterial decay and the air contact in the freezer is not better than the air contact to the dry food. Also freeze stored fatty acids get ranzid.

I recommend to enrich frozen foods with PUFA oils (fish oil etc.). The water will be less polluted and fish will look better. Fish fed with good pellets in my eyes may look better than frozen food fed fish.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back