Why feed pellets?

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start my FOWLR tank soon, so im trying to get the best color for my fish.

Is feeding pellets (or any dry food) to fish necessary? I have read a lot that states frozen food; Mysis etc, brings out the color of fish.

Since pellets increase phosphate, Why would people feed it at all? other than being cheap ofcourse

Last edited:

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a fish from Oceans Garden. It's a great little DaVinci clown. Alas, he won't eat flake. Stubborn little bugger will only eat pellets. I'm trying to wean him off of them but it's slow....

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a fish from Oceans Garden. It's a great little DaVinci clown. Alas, he won't eat flake. Stubborn little bugger will only eat pellets. I'm trying to wean him off of them but it's slow....
A DaVinci? (I also have a pair of DaVinci's ;Joyful )
Noice Thats Nice GIF

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A DaVinci? (I also have a pair of DaVinci's ;Joyful )
Noice Thats Nice GIF
I named him Leo. He is a long finned Davinci. This is weird but it gets seperation anxiety when I'm gone and it comes to the surface to give me fish kisses. (No, he is not begging because he likes the sinking pellets.)
Great little fish.... it is going to be hard to let him out of the QT in my office to set him free in the big tank. He's mu little buddy.

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is feeding frozen really THAT expensive? i mean 3 packs oh hikari only cost $10, and i have been mixing it with PE mysis which last me about...well pretty long. if anything, Im more worried about having to do frequent water change with pellet feeding as I have notice significant higher phosphate when feeding pellets within my sps reef

anyways is the main idea: If I have the time and money, Feeding frozen food bring out better color than dry food will?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the ingredients on a lot of pellets they have nothing that your fish wouldn't get from a good mix of frozen food, many just a one or two main ingredients then some kind of filler such as wheat.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compare the ingredients in pellets to frozen foods and see the difference. I feed my fish a variety of Hikari cubes and Rods daily. I have 14 fish, 5 triggers, 3 tangs, 2 clowns, 1 damsel, 1 Harlequin Tusk, 1 squirrel fish and a bicolor blenny and they are all extremely healthy and colorful. Most frozen foods are superior to non frozen.
Here's a vid of my fish getting pumped up to eat. Feed your fish frozen and they will thank you for it.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is feeding frozen really THAT expensive? i mean 3 packs oh hikari only cost $10, and i have been mixing it with PE mysis which last me about...well pretty long. if anything, Im more worried about having to do frequent water change with pellet feeding as I have notice significant higher phosphate when feeding pellets within my sps reef

anyways is the main idea: If I have the time and money, Feeding frozen food bring out better color than dry food will?
No it isn't, even less expensive / better when you make your own. Phos is often higher with pellets. I only utilize it in a pinch. It's handy to have on hand for a day or two. Then back to frozen.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While there are a lot of variable as to if frozen or pellets are better depending on what is in either- A good reason to go with pellets is it is usually a lot easier to monitor how much you are feeding and how much your fish are consuming without polluting your tank :)

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is feeding frozen really THAT expensive?
Yes. Or, at the very least, it's not a budget option in Canada.

Pellets satisfy the pickers and sifters in my tank. The filefish seems particularly happy picking at things over a long period of time instead of a three-minute bings, and it (and the multicolor angel) haven't taken to masstick at all.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying frozen isn’t viable. For me I just use pellets daily and frozen every few days. But I’m only feeding clowns right now. This will change as my livestock list expands

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as a lot of others, it is just easier with pellets. I can change amounts fed quickly, and if I go on holidays well auto-feeding is much easier.

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start my FOWLR tank soon, so im trying to get the best color for my fish.

Is feeding pellets (or any dry food) to fish necessary? I have read a lot that states frozen food; Mysis etc, brings out the color of fish.

Since pellets increase phosphate, Why would people feed it at all? other than being cheap ofcourse
I don't know much about bringing out the color. I haven't tried controlled side by side tests, but I'm not having any issues with pellets and flakes.

Feeding dry fish food is not necessary. In fact, fish generally prefer frozen, and especially live foods. That said, as an aquarist pellets do come with many advantages.

1) Despite the fact that fish are more likely to accept frozen (the majority of fish have no trouble accepting dry), Pellets often contain more nutritional value that frozen. It's like feeding your kids veggies instead of candy.
2) The cost is lower. Although frozen can last a while, dry will go farther. (10 pack of hikari is a good deal but still not cheaper than pellets or flakes)
3) Convenience. Dry foods don't take up freezer space and you don't have to head to the freezer every time you want to feed. Also dry foods don't need defrosting and can be fed automatically.

Oh, and as for phosphates. I'm not sure but I think on BRS they said that Frozen have more phospates. Either way, I run a reef and occasionally test for phosphates, but I have yet do have problem. Not in my 75 where I feed frozen, nor in my 15 where I feed dry. In a fowler phosphates are even less important.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good pellet will have elevated protein and fat content, which IMM exceeds any frozen food in terms of content.

it’s quite the same in dog and cat food, whereas the wet stuff has a third of the fat and protein content, but they love it.

That being said, my fish love the wet stuff.

Variety is the spice of life.

Cant say I get any better colour with either.

Mine show there best colors when relaxed and dependent on lighting.

If my YT gets any stress, she pales a bit.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Convenience.

All foods have phosphate, it is a building block.

If you want to do the best for your fish then live foods like live worms, fresh frozen clam (the kind you would buy live to eat), quality frozen like LRS, and dried (not roasted) nori. You can add some selcon or fish oil too.

I completely disagree pellets are better then what I just listed.

Dry is a packaged processed food and not fresh food. What do we eat to be healthy? Fresh food not processed foods. The key is to pick the correct frozen foods as not all are equal.

Just look at the health of Paul B's fish ;)

Last edited:
Back