why have floss after chaeto chamber in sump?

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen sump designs in which the downstream boundary consists of a weir followed by a sponge, floss, etc. What's the purpose of this sponge/floss? I'm guessing it's to catch small pieces of chaeto that pass through the weir. If this is the case, how necessary is it? If small pieces of chaeto get through, is it just an aesthetic issue relating to their getting into the DT? Is it something more problematic, such as clogging up the return pump? Thanks

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen sump designs in which the downstream boundary consists of a weir followed by a sponge, floss, etc. What's the purpose of this sponge/floss? I'm guessing it's to catch small pieces of chaeto that pass through the weir. If this is the case, how necessary is it? If small pieces of chaeto get through, is it just an aesthetic issue relating to their getting into the DT? Is it something more problematic, such as clogging up the return pump? Thanks
I used a sponge after my fuge in my Trigger. It ended up getting clogged quickly and caused issues with my Tunze ATO, which caused the water level to rise, which caused my skimmer to wet skim and fill up 8 times a day.

Now I just have it all free flowing. No socks so sponge just bioballs after the baffle and in the bottom of the fuge. So far so good it fixed the ato and skimmer issue. Some chaeto goes in the display, but my tangs eat it so it’s not super untolerable as of yet.

OP
OP
S

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a sponge after my fuge in my Trigger. It ended up getting clogged quickly and caused issues with my Tunze ATO, which caused the water level to rise, which caused my skimmer to wet skim and fill up 8 times a day.

Now I just have it all free flowing. No socks so sponge just bioballs after the baffle and in the bottom of the fuge. So far so good it fixed the ato and skimmer issue. Some chaeto goes in the display, but my tangs eat it so it’s not super untolerable as of yet.

That's so great to hear. That means less work, less complication, etc.

OP
OP
S

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this sound for a sump layout?

I have a 20 gal tall. I could drill two holes in a narrow side, with their centers at about 7" above the bottom. I would have chamber 1 dedicated to a skimmer, with a depth of 10". Overflow would be into a chaeto area, as large as I can make it (which wouldn't be very, unfortunately). I would then have an overflow weir of less than 10" height, then two other pieces to form a bubble trap, then a "return area" that will be plumbed with a bulkhead near the bottom, flowing to a return pump.

The issue with all this is that the bubble trap and return area will take up quite a bit of real estate. I guess I just need enough space between the panes of glass in the trap and the "return area" for cleaning. I suppose I could get a bottle brush in between 3/4" spaces, though I'd need a little more width in the "return area" since I'd want to mount level switches, etc.

Ideally I'd like to simplify even further, but I don't know if it's practical. For instance, maybe I could have a screen over the return outlet, and not have to mess with a weir, though this might present problems with bubbles and chaeto clogging. Any thoughts?

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This happened to me as well! The cheato doesn't clog your return pump?

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a couple posts where folks have had cheato get hung up in the return pump impeller. It's the kind of thing you could probably monitor for with the 2016 version apex with power monitoring.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did was silicone in a piece of egg crate right above where water overflows. It traps the bigger pieces of macro algae but lets the water through. Small pieces do get into the tank once in a while but nothing that will clog up pump.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in some lighting diffuser in my fuge. It works well to keep cheato from getting into the return pump.

IMG_20190218_224226.jpg

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did was silicone in a piece of egg crate right above where water overflows. It traps the bigger pieces of macro algae but lets the water through. Small pieces do get into the tank once in a while but nothing that will clog up pump.
This is what I was thinking, only removable such as like a hang-on-back lid. Think a piece of egg crate, with a lip on the end that alows you to "hang" it on the inside of the overflow to the pump column. That's what I'm thinking. Has your egg crate thing been working out? no bits in your impeller? Thanks!

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was thinking, only removable such as like a hang-on-back lid. Think a piece of egg crate, with a lip on the end that alows you to "hang" it on the inside of the overflow to the pump column. That's what I'm thinking. Has your egg crate thing been working out? no bits in your impeller? Thanks!
The egg crate worked good, but I added a few baby trochus snails and shrimp in my fuge that could get through the openings so I have a piece of sponge in front of the egg crate now.
173B8CE2-F3B7-4B0C-A314-FA767E7850E2.jpeg

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The egg crate worked good, but I added a few baby trochus snails and shrimp in my fuge that could get through the openings so I have a piece of sponge in front of the egg crate now.
173B8CE2-F3B7-4B0C-A314-FA767E7850E2.jpeg
Thanks for sharing! That's good way to have it, vertically in the slot. way better than my idea. that way it can just fit right in there up and down. I like your way. Thank you!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back