Why have my clown fish died?

Reef_scuba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I have a 30 litre tank, all my equipment is new and working temp 78° and salinity 1.024 and other levels all fine! Even went to my local pet store and had it all retested! I have live rock with a few hitch hikers but they have all been ID'ed and are friendly. I have had the fish for 2 weeks and are the only fish in the tank.. they had already sorted out their dominance issues and got along brilliantly! Until late last night they were absolutely fine but I woke up this morning to them both dead.. being up late and then up early this must of happened quickly.. :( Talking things over with my local Aquatics I came to the thought that I Polished the tank lid about mid day and may of put it on the wrong way round.. meaning the condensation is dripping the polish into the water. I now have a bag of carbon hanging in the tank and the man in the store said this is all I can do and let it cycle for a week? Please any advise would be great, I am a complete newbie to this and feel like I have made a horrible mistake that I really dont want to do again!

On a side note how long can I store ready made salt water and RO water?

Thank you all in advance!

Montu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a noob my self but if you fear you got something in the water I would do as large a water change as you can, no need to worry about the nitrifying bacteria, it lives on your surfaces like glass rock etc..

The carbon would also help (in addition to the water change)

Ready made salt water can be kept for quite a while as long as you keep it flowing with a power head.

No worries with RO water afaik

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a large WC and running carbon for a week should help remove the contaminant. In the future, don't use any household cleaners, bug sprays, etc. anywhere near your aquarium. Even scented candles can create issues. :eek:

Agree with @Montu about SW & RO water. :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Agreed. Never use any chemicals near your tank. If you want to clean something tank-related then use vinegar and rinse very well. This is the safest way to clean tank parts.

Large water changes and carbon are your friend right now. Good luck hun!

OP
OP
Reef_scuba

Reef_scuba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much! Just wanted to know if I am doing enough to make sure my tank is safe again! I will do a big water change today, thanks again!

I also ask about the water quality as I done only a litre change the same day and wondered if the water was too old but seems as if it was definitely the polish :/ poor fish!

Thanks!

rvlcf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of saltwater storage, I have found it best to make/mix saltwater for a water change and then use it that day. I have mixed extra salt water in the past and kept it flowing via powerhead. I found that the alk dropped significantly after a day or 2. If you want to store excess saltwater I would test it upon completion of mixing, then test again before your next water change. If you are getting precipitation of elements don't store your water.
I know this doesn't happen to everyone, but it did to me. i would keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
Reef_scuba

Reef_scuba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the advise! Will be noted and put into action!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back