why is Apex shutting off my ATO?

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still learning about the finer controls of apex but can someone enlighten me on why apex immediately shuts off my ATO when I put it on auto mode? My settings are as follows:

Fallback OFF
If FeedA 005 Then OFF
If FeedB 005 Then OFF
Defer 005:00 Then ON
If ATOlvl < 0.5 Then OFF

ATOlvl is my Neptune liquid level sensor which is definitely not below 0.5. I've also tried switching Fallback to ON and it still immediately shuts it off. Thanks!

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not expert in this but i was having issues with my powerheads with fallback on but still constantly having then turn off at weird intervals after removing the osc line. I later realized i needed a set on line which solved the problem.

I thi k thisay be the case here if you want to try adding the line Set ON after rhe fallback line to test it while waiting for someone more experienced to chime in. Just be ready to manually turn it off if something goes wrong.

I assume your ato is connected to a float valve as you dont have a level reading for off but i would add one as well just in case a little below the float valve for some extra protection.

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add a bit. If only relying on a float falve youll be running your pump at all times under back pressure which is bound to create a failure one one side or the other at some point. Also for the kevel sensors off point i would set it a little lower than youd like may want to watch and adjust a few times to compensate for system lag

Also i use the ATK and regret it 100% since adding a fleece roller. My rolller collects water as it gets dirty then releases is as it moves on to clean fleece which raises my sump level just enough to trigger the top sensor in the atk. Ive had to disable that alarm until i can be bothered to move it slightly higher which means dismantling the atk and essentially making it little more than a magnet held float valve(wish this was mentioned more in atk and fleece roller threads)

Ive included the stock apex coding(or at least mine i cant remember if ive changed anything) the atk setup installs. Hope it helps?

SmartSelect_20221003_195633_APEX Fusion.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hitchhik3r

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add a bit. If only relying on a float falve youll be running your pump at all times under back pressure which is bound to create a failure one one side or the other at some point. Also for the kevel sensors off point i would set it a little lower than youd like may want to watch and adjust a few times to compensate for system lag

Also i use the ATK and regret it 100% since adding a fleece roller. My rolller collects water as it gets dirty then releases is as it moves on to clean fleece which raises my sump level just enough to trigger the top sensor in the atk. Ive had to disable that alarm until i can be bothered to move it slightly higher which means dismantling the atk and essentially making it little more than a magnet held float valve(wish this was mentioned more in atk and fleece roller threads)
Hey thanks for the suggestions. I have the Tunze ATO and have been letting it just run on its own with its own safety features so I have not bothered programming anything on the Apex end with that. Except to let me know when my ATO reservoir is running low. Should I still add these features you are suggesting?

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the Osmolator? Im not very familiar with them so trying to look it up. And if it is the osmolator which has its own controller and redundancies it never hurts to have more right?

I would say maybe an alarm from the apex when the LLS reaches a high point at least while testing and go with the set on line after the fallback off line as im not sure defer works independant of a higher priority on trigger. But would definitely do this when you have time to keep an eye on it regardless of the LLS alarm

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully @SuncrestReef will have a moment to chime in he has written some great tutorials on Apex programming

Can be found here:

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have no coding to tell the outlet to turn itself on after an off command.

Second line of code after the fallback statement should be:
Set ON

Simple solution.

OP
OP
Hitchhik3r

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Set ON was indeed what I needed. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be there by default. I had to add it to a few other devices such as my powerhead.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back