Why is half of my coral dying?

Chepre01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
my coral always did good, all of it looked healthy like the left side on the foto. since a few weeks, arms on the right half are dying and the ones still alive dont evolve like on the left side.

Any idea what could be the reason for this?

2.jpg

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard tell from photo, but from on head in center looks like brown jelly disease. Others are going to ask for you to post parameters and if you dose?

OP
OP
C

Chepre01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for your reply. Got another foto with more white. My parmeters are normally 6-7 alk, 420 - 440 Calzium and around 1300 Mg.
What you mean by "dose" ?

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 39

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody close enough to sting him?
Anybody in your system a potential biter?
What was the most recent additions?

OP
OP
C

Chepre01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually i saw some days ago a hermit crab (dont know if it is the right translation into english) on the head of a dead arm. I immediately removed it to the sump.
my coral looked super fine and then changed to this without changing/adding anyhtink in the tank

Edit: i could also watch now 1,2 2mm snails in a head of a dead arm (lots of them i have also during night on my front glass)

snail.jpg

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thx for your reply. Got another foto with more white. My parmeters are normally 6-7 alk, 420 - 440 Calzium and around 1300 Mg.
What you mean by "dose" ?
Alk is a bit low, should be between 8-9 . Hows you're ph looking?

Nitrates and phosphates? I am not going to blame those due to the other ones looking alright. but never know. The dying and dead, reason could be starvation. Someone is using up all the alk as well.

And this
Anybody close enough to sting him?
?
Edit: also after looking at the picture further, more of the heads look like they are in decline.

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually i saw some days ago a hermit crab (dont know if it is the right translation into english) on the head of a dead arm. I immediately removed it to the sump.
my coral looked super fine and then changed to this without changing/adding anyhtink in the tank

Edit: i could also watch now 1,2 2mm snails in a head of a dead arm (lots of them i have also during night on my front glass)

snail.jpg
In general, hermits are OK and maybe just picking at the dead stuff.
Personally, I don’t keep any crabs, can’t take the risk.
Very strange, one day good, next day bad.

Back