Why is impossible to find sulfur denitrators and media???

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious: why add aragonite in the reactor? Is this used to combat Alk consumption? We're not inducing CO2 so not sure if I'm following here...
I would like to add aragonite to buffer pH. Sulfur will lower pH and aragonite naturally buffers pH even without CO2. Adding CO2 accelerates the process.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add aragonite to buffer pH. Sulfur will lower pH and aragonite naturally buffers pH even without CO2. Adding CO2 accelerates the process.

I would add that it helps offset the alk depletion, but with the side effect of raising calcium over time.

Jpcoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - then this will definitely work! It took me ~3 weeks to see results (EDIT: likely 4-6 weeks to see dropped in tank's nitrate). When the sump smells like rotten eggs, it's a good time to increase flow! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Yikes hopefully I catch it before stinky sets in. Lol
Curious: why add aragonite in the reactor? Is this used to combat Alk consumption? We're not inducing CO2 so not sure if I'm following here...
it buffers the effluent to keep the PH in the aquarium stable

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting - IME I have not seen pH drifted lower (perhaps not that noticeable due to below?)
I would add that it helps offset the alk depletion, but with the side effect of raising calcium over time.
Yes and I've personally witnessed that Alk is consumed. It is not returned to the water column as part of the denitrification process so you'll have to manually dose to keep things in balance. That said, I'm still not sure how aragonite can offset Alk if we're not dissolving the media with CO2. By running 1-2 drops per second through the chamber, would pH be low enough (sub 6.5'ish) to dissolve the media?

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 40ml/min with no CO2, the pH inside my CaRx would hit high 7s (more like low 8s) -- not enough to dissolve the media. I suspect that would translate to what's inside the biodenitrator. I have a Korallin S-1502 and a C-1502. The Sulfur BioDenitrator (S-1502) has been turned off for more than a year now.

Last edited:

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have Sulfur Media and Sulfur Denitrators available on deltecdirectusa.com

1663959584381.png 1663959660076.png
Thank you! I love that you are 30 minutes away from my house. I was able to drive down this afternoon a pick some sulfur so I get my Denitrator setup. You guys are very friendly and have gained an ally for life!

Also, I love the jellyfish tank in the lobby!

Deltec USA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I love that you are 30 minutes away from my house. I was able to drive down this afternoon a pick some sulfur so I get my Denitrator setup. You guys are very friendly and have gained an ally for life!

Also, I love the jellyfish tank in the lobby!
Thank you so much! Call us anytime!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back