Why is impossible to find sulfur denitrators and media???

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All in-stock....

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any pics of how you made yours? I've been considering making one
IMG_20201118_191706.jpg

It's the double tower behind the skimmer

Zonly1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running with LSM in a Aquamaxx T2 for about 2 years now. Does the media ever need to be replaced? Does it require maintenance at all? So far I've been able to keep my nitates < 5ppm, but I'm starting to wonder about maintenance. TIA

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only rinse the media when it gets clogged with mulm.

I've been using the same media for 3-4 years. I don’t know that it ever needs to be replaced.

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to bump this thread from 3 months ago. Anyone have success finding this media? I’m converting a Korallin Calcium Reactor to a Biodenitrator and have everything ready to go but the media. Is there anything special about the media sold for this particular unit? I see that I need 2000 g of sulfur pellets, can I source these from somewhere else? I’ve found 99.9% pure sulfur pellets on eBay. I’ve never used a denitrator before so I’m not sure how to go about this. I’m also not sure why there seems to be such a sulfur shortage.

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to bump this thread from 3 months ago. Anyone have success finding this media? I’m converting a Korallin Calcium Reactor to a Biodenitrator and have everything ready to go but the media. Is there anything special about the media sold for this particular unit? I see that I need 2000 g of sulfur pellets, can I source these from somewhere else? I’ve found 99.9% pure sulfur pellets on eBay. I’ve never used a denitrator before so I’m not sure how to go about this. I’m also not sure why there seems to be such a sulfur shortage.

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my reactor and waiting for it to arrive. Marine Depot is going out if business as BRS bought them. It's all 40% off right now as supplies last. Here is a link to their sulfur.

You can buy the reactor with the sulfur on their site as well.

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my reactor and waiting for it to arrive. Marine Depot is going out if business as BRS bought them. It's all 40% off right now as supplies last. Here is a link to their sulfur.

You can buy the reactor with the sulfur

You can buy the reactor with the sulfur on their site as well.
Ok never mind the sulfur us out of stock now. Looks like they have 3 left of the reactor with sulfur provided still... https://www.marinedepot.com/korallin-biodenitrator-w-eheim-pump

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bag of the tiny Sulphur pellets (round beads) off Amazon before I ended up getting the Korallin kit that came with them; I ended up using the ones that came with the kit, but frankly the ones off Amazon look fairly identical. I bet they would work just as well.

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s weird. I can’t find any in stock from any aquarium vendor of any brand. The stuff on EBay seems to either be for horses, snake repellent or gardening. I will buy that if I can get someone to tell me it’s ok.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6FB661D2-D1E6-4632-A0BD-B7E152395582.jpeg

Wow. These are no longer available on Amazon. I’d be careful of the ‘snake repellent’ ones— they seem to list ‘essential oils.’ I’m pretty sure you need it to be pure— not leaching oils into your tank!

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running with LSM in a Aquamaxx T2 for about 2 years now. Does the media ever need to be replaced? Does it require maintenance at all? So far I've been able to keep my nitates < 5ppm, but I'm starting to wonder about maintenance. TIA
No the sulfur prills will not require any maintenance unless they get clogged up with mulm. Which can happen depending on reactor and re-circulation rate. If you do take the media out to rinse it, exposing the bacteria on the media to oxygen will kill them. So you will need to approach it as a cold restart when you put the media back in.

As for replacing the media, it will all eventually be consumed by the bacteria. It takes a long time though. So it is hard to notice it occurring. To offset the consumption, you normally just top up the media with fresh prills and leave the existing ones in to eventually be fully consumed.

Dennis

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6FB661D2-D1E6-4632-A0BD-B7E152395582.jpeg

Wow. These are no longer available on Amazon. I’d be careful of the ‘snake repellent’ ones— they seem to list ‘essential oils.’ I’m pretty sure you need it to be pure— not leaching oils into your tank!

No the sulfur prills will not require any maintenance unless they get clogged up with mulm. Which can happen depending on reactor and re-circulation rate. If you do take the media out to rinse it, exposing the bacteria on the media to oxygen will kill them. So you will need to approach it as a cold restart when you put the media back in.

As for replacing the media, it will all eventually be consumed by the bacteria. It takes a long time though. So it is hard to notice it occurring. To offset the consumption, you normally just top up the media with fresh prills and leave the existing ones in to eventually be fully consumed.

Dennis

Would these sulfur prills be safe to use?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much media do I need? It is sold by the pound but seems to be used in the reactor by volume.
I just got a TS-2 from Marine Depot.
To determine how much sulfur media you need, you should multiply your total system gallons x .006
In my case then
400 x .006 = 2.4 liters

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for replacing the media, it will all eventually be consumed by the bacteria. It takes a long time though.
once the NO3 levels of the incoming water are zeroed out the bacteria will start consuming the sulfur and it will deplete very quickly. once your system reaches <2ppm, it's best to take the reactor offline.

pjduck33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pointless. Always unavailable... like there's a world shortage of sulfur or something.... :confused:

Search for granular sulfur or elemental sulfur pellets. The pellets are also commonly used as a soil amendment. Here is a link:

Walt's Elemental Sulfur Pellets (10 LB)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back