Why is impossible to find sulfur denitrators and media???

Dule T&T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.
After doing a very thorough research I "discovered" an incredibly efficient way to remove nitrates from a reef tank.
It's an old-fashioned sulfur denitrator!

Chemistry behind it is already explained on many reefing forums including this one, but what I can't understand is why is practically impossible to find and order sulfur reactors and especially sulfur media anywhere online?

For some very strange reason people mostly don't have a clue how simple, efficient, stable and long lasting method to control nitrates this is.

Could anyone please help me by providing some links where is still possible to order sulfur media and reactors?
I've been googling for hours without any success.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IThey have been "the thing" to get multiple times over the years. My guess as to why they never last for mass appeal is they csn be tricky to dial in and keep dialed in. Too fast and they are useless. Too slow and they are dangerous to tank.

Not saying they dont work just that i think that is why they are not used more commonly and why it is somewhat difficult to find them.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find sulfur beads on amazon.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my eye on the ones at Marine Depot for months and months--the AquaMaxx T-1, T-2, and T-3-- they were constantly showing as 'currently out of stock.' Bulk Reef Supply has the Korallin brand, but with the pump it's a pricey $450-ish. And I need two--one for each of two tanks. ;Wideyed

OP
OP
D

Dule T&T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my eye on the ones at Marine Depot for months and months--the AquaMaxx T-1, T-2, and T-3-- they were constantly showing as 'currently out of stock.' Bulk Reef Supply has the Korallin brand, but with the pump it's a pricey $450-ish. And I need two--one for each of two tanks. ;Wideyed
Yes, I would like the same AquaMaxx TS-2 sulfur denitrator, but it's ALWAYS "out of stock".
Guy in some YouTube video advised to use 1 litre of sulfur media per 100 litres of tank water which is roughly about 105 gallons.
Considering that my tank is 400 gallons TS-2 which has a capacity of 5.5 litres would be perfect.
But it's impossible to order it !!!

Korallin is way more expensive.
I did contact Korallin directly though. They told me that they will ship sulfur media and reactors to Marine Depot this month.
So I'm guessing we need to wait and see...

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure about it?
When I type "sulfur beads" or anything similar, amazon offers me "Acne sulfur face masks" :rolleyes:
Lol heres what I found:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210410-160954_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210410-160954_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 167
OP
OP
D

Dule T&T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would like the same AquaMaxx TS-2 sulfur denitrator, but it's ALWAYS "out of stock".
Guy in some YouTube video advised to use 1 litre of sulfur media per 100 litres of tank water which is roughly about 105 gallons.
Considering that my tank is 400 gallons TS-2 which has a capacity of 5.5 litres would be perfect.
But it's impossible to order it !!!

Korallin is way more expensive.
I did contact Korallin directly though. They told me that they will ship sulfur media and reactors to Marine Depot this month.
So I'm guessing we need to wait and see...
I made a typo in this post. It's 1 litre of media per 400 litres of tank water (105 gallons).

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulfur denitrators are great ways to manage nitrates but they do require some finessing to get them working correctly, which is probably why most people either fail with them or stay away. I’m super happy with my aquamaxx ts-3 that I’ve had running for 4 years.

the other good thing is that the sulfur beads practically last forever, so if you can find them, you’re set. Wasn’t an issue to find several years ago.

Chrysemys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search “sulfur prills” on Amazon for media. I constructed a DIY reactor since I couldn’t find one in stock. I do get zero nitrates out of the reactor, but after a month it still is not bringing my nitrates down much in my total 250 gallons. It is a pain to keep dialed in, but satisfying to see the nitrate removal at least on some level.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of dialing in, I monitor ORP in the reactor and adjust flow to stay within the desired range, which is the only way I’ve found to operate the SD reliably.

OP
OP
D

Dule T&T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search “sulfur prills” on Amazon for media. I constructed a DIY reactor since I couldn’t find one in stock. I do get zero nitrates out of the reactor, but after a month it still is not bringing my nitrates down much in my total 250 gallons. It is a pain to keep dialed in, but satisfying to see the nitrate removal at least on some level.
It's pointless. Always unavailable... like there's a world shortage of sulfur or something.... :confused:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back