Why is my alk such out of wack?

ZoaFan08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks ago I put a calcium reactor online after getting my parameters at 450 calcium, 9.5 alk, and 1350 magnesium. After 2 weeks of fiddling with the reactor I took it offline since it kept making my alk jump up as high as 14.5. So I took the reactor offline and have been adjusting my parameters, my alk has gone from 12.5 to 8.8 and I dosed to get it to 9.0, the next day it is 8.3 and i dose it to get it to 9.0 and the next day it is 8.6 and I dose it to get it to 9.0 and then today it dropped down to 6.4! Why did it make such a sudden drop? My calcium has been consistent at around 420-430 and my magnesium is 1360 as well.

I cannot figure out why my alk keeps jumping all over the place....

OP
OP
Z

ZoaFan08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW I am using Salifert test kits and this I test 2x to make sure the test are accurate.

OP
OP
Z

ZoaFan08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp is very stable in my tank, stays around 78-79, as far as pH whenever I look at it its around 8.1-8.2.

OP
OP
Z

ZoaFan08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what type of corals are you keeping? heavy load? what size tank?

Its a mixed reef with mostly zoas, only a few SPS. The tank is stocked the same it ha been and my alk has never dropped that fast.

aquafrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fisrt thing get rid of the salifert alk test kit, and get a Lamotte, I have tried two of the new saliferts and they have been inconsistent for me comparing it to a lamotte and Elos test kit

what reactor are you running?

are you checking to make sure the effluent is consistent with a graduated cylinder?

also if you run GFO this will deplete the alk from your tank? dropping it faster

OP
OP
Z

ZoaFan08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fisrt thing get rid of the salifert alk test kit, and get a Lamotte, I have tried two of the new saliferts and they have been inconsistent for me comparing it to a lamotte and Elos test kit

what reactor are you running?

are you checking to make sure the effluent is consistent with a graduated cylinder?

Reactor is offline and has been for a week.

OP
OP
Z

ZoaFan08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got new test kits today and it tested the same. I raised by alk to 9.0 last night and today it was 7.2 again. It seems like some days it drops 1.8 and some days it drops .3, is that normal?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back