Why is my cycled tank not growing coralline?

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had many tanks over the years and never had a problem growing coraline algae until I setup my existing reef. It has now been running nearly 2 years and there is not a spec of it. I have tried adding it into the tank but it never takes hold. My pH is generally 8.3 - 8.5 during the summer months and 8.1 - 8.3 during the winter months so I am not convinced pH alone is the key. I have put my inability to grow Coraline as this tank had very little live rock added to it unlike all my previous tanks. I have also suffered from high Phosphates so surface algae on the rocks is always preventing it taking hold. I cannot lower my phosphate below 0.2 (yes 0.2 and not .002) otherwise dinoflagellates start to take hold. I am sure I read high phosphates impedes calcification so that may be be the cause for my issue.
Hope some of this helps.

jspuck25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought this thread was something that may help.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 9 months old and I'm now just starting to get visible coraline. It'll happen on it's own. Dont worry. Reefing is a marathon not a sprint.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had many tanks over the years and never had a problem growing coraline algae until I setup my existing reef. It has now been running nearly 2 years and there is not a spec of it. I have tried adding it into the tank but it never takes hold. My pH is generally 8.3 - 8.5 during the summer months and 8.1 - 8.3 during the winter months so I am not convinced pH alone is the key. I have put my inability to grow Coraline as this tank had very little live rock added to it unlike all my previous tanks. I have also suffered from high Phosphates so surface algae on the rocks is always preventing it taking hold. I cannot lower my phosphate below 0.2 (yes 0.2 and not .002) otherwise dinoflagellates start to take hold. I am sure I read high phosphates impedes calcification so that may be be the cause for my issue.
Hope some of this helps.
I do not think phosphates may be the cause of your issue. nitrates and phosphate levels are the mesengers, the results, not the cause.
Increasing phosphorus availability does NOT impedes calcofication. It has been shown, based on 26 reports and 101 experiments, increased phosphate availability increases calcification rates, depending of the CO3 availability.(.ShantzAndBurkepile2014)) ref: https://www.baharini.eu/baharini/doku.php?id=nl:makazi:chemie:calcificatie

wranodj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me about a year or so. Kalkwasser in the ATO helps with pH. Once coralline is established then acro’s can be added. Until then...

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling a tank and conditioning a tank are two different things. Why do you think the tank is cycled? When a tank is cycled? Why Coraline algae is a target?
I think a bit too much about everything not really needed was and is added. Cycling a tank is giving nature time and opportunity to close the cycles and to install the diversity needed for the carrying capacity able to support a growing bioload.
Every living creature introduced will bring in its specific biodiversity, a healthy coral holobiont contains most bacteria needed. Different corals will bring in different and typical holobionts. ref: https://www.baharini.eu/baharini/do...rie:koraal_holoboint&s[]=koraal&s[]=holobiont
Diversity does not come in a bottle!
Excreted digested food will contain most living diversity needed. A small piece of a healthy tropical marine nitrifying biofilm will also contain all diversity needed for aerobic and anaerobic remineralization.
The thank will continue to condition each time food and organisms are added and will hopefully reach its balance, which includes the growth of coralline and other algae species.
As no biofilter or refuge is used the total carrying capacity of the system can not be managed as desired and may reach its limits suddenly and unexpectedly. I have no clue about how a filter roller sump works an look into it.
A bare bottom tank is more difficult to buffer, depending on the nitrification rate.
Due to the daily addition of so called " minerals", is it possible your pH is buffered at a too low pH?

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think phosphates may be the cause of your issue. nitrates and phosphate levels are the mesengers, the results, not the cause.
Increasing phosphorus availability does NOT impedes calcofication. It has been shown, based on 26 reports and 101 experiments, increased phosphate availability increases calcification rates, depending of the CO3 availability.(.ShantzAndBurkepile2014)) ref: https://www.baharini.eu/baharini/doku.php?id=nl:makazi:chemie:calcificatie
Thank you for clarifying this and putting me right on this point.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back