Why is my frogspawn doing this?!?!?

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had this frogspawn in my tank for about 2 months and everything had been going fine. It would eat everytime I would feed it and it was always nice and open. Yesterday I went to feed and noticed that it was starting to like disintegrate on one side like how one of my friends frogspawns looked when it had a disease but his died within 2 days of receiving it from shipping. I don’t know if it’s stressed, has a disease, or is having a polp blowout? Do any of y’all have an idea? Here are two pictures I took today.

F21DEBC5-2B00-44E1-BA12-37D7F3F630AE.jpeg CEAB365D-DDEF-4648-ACDA-C825E0326795.jpeg

OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need perameters, lighting and flow info.
Parameters:
Ph: 8.2
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: close to 40ppm which I know is kinda high but it’s been like that the whole time I’ve had the frogspawn.
lighting is the Biocube LED hood which I just got a week ago
And I don’t really know my flow info that well

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters:
Nitrate: close to 40ppm which I know is kinda high but it’s been like that the whole time I’ve had the frogspawn.
Well the only cause i see is nitrates. But It could be pests aswell, you could try to dip it. It could also be flow if its to strong. So i suggest doing water changes until nitrates are in check.

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters:
Also what is your salinity at, that is also an important parameter?

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the tentacles in the pic, I think we can rule out flow being an issue. They seem pretty relaxed- I’d agree that nitrate is pretty high, and likely the cause. Are you able to check salinity? What about temp? As mentioned above, it could also be an unseen pest.

OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the tentacles in the pic, I think we can rule out flow being an issue. They seem pretty relaxed- I’d agree that nitrate is pretty high, and likely the cause. Are you able to check salinity? What about temp? As mentioned above, it could also be an unseen pest.
My heater I’ve always had at around 78 degrees but my heat could have got higher because of the introduction of the new Biocube led hood. I have noticed more water evap since I’ve gotten the hood. Salinity is around 35.0 ppt and 34.0 ppt

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing water changes trying to get nitrates down and they are going down slowly. My salinity is around 35.0 and 34.0 ppt
like your salinity is 1.035 or 1.034???? That should be much lower around 1.025/1.024.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is tissue recession and likely due to either too much water flow or response to new lighting which you want to start low or acclimation setting and slowly ramp up

you have test readings with a few zeros which tells me you’re using API test kits?
They are known for false readings. Nitrate will become an issue at some point and you can place a small pouch of chemipure blue in your filter chamber to keep it in check. It will also reduce toxins and polish your water

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is tissue recession and likely due to either too much water flow or response to new lighting which you want to start low or acclimation setting and slowly ramp up

you have test readings with a few zeros which tells me you’re using API test kits?
They are known for false readings. Nitrate will become an issue at some point and you can place a small pouch of chemipure blue in your filter chamber to keep it in check. It will also reduce toxins and polish your water
You could be right about the lighting- I think they recently added the hood

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back