OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to say this started happening right after you changed the light? I don’t believe water is onset and the powerhead is not one that would typically blast the tank . An ammonia/nitrite spike will do this however. A lack of nutrients will also trigger this. Low phosphate would be an example.
Recommended:
Salinity. 1.025
Temp 77-79
Ph 8.1-8.3
Ammonia < .03
Nitrate < .04
Phosphate < .04
Alk 8/9
Mag 1300
Ca 440
Yeah I’m starting to think it’s light and nutrients now. Always gonna be ups and downs when you first start something and I understand that. I have fallen in love with this hobby and will try my best at it.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m starting to think. I’m definitely taking my water to a lfs to get tested to see what the real problem is.
I would cut back on feeding the corals at the moment, they will feed when you feed the fish anyway.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His tank isn't ready for coral because of husbandry practices. Not because of the age of the tank. I think that is where the disagreement is coming from.
Agreed with husbandry practices. Those are clearly issues but tank age doesn’t matter by months it matters by how it was maintained in that time. It’s why we have reefers waiting 6 months to add coral vs others having success with corals in 2 weeks. It all depends on how you manage the tank not the time.

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what kind of fish you have (not sure if I looked over it, or if it was not stated) but you don't need to feed fish every day, unless you have fish that have high metabolism. Assuming you don't. I have two clowns in a 13g and I feed maybe once every two days.

OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what kind of fish you have (not sure if I looked over it, or if it was not stated) but you don't need to feed fish every day, unless you have fish that have high metabolism. Assuming you don't. I have two clowns in a 13g and I feed maybe once every two days.
I have a clown right now and that’s it

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TrevorL start doing 10-20% water changes weekly vs biweekly. Smaller tanks also fluctuate more this is why more frequent water changes are helpful.

Do you have a ATO (auto top off) if not I would also look into one of those. This way as your water evaporates rodi water is added keeping your salinity the same.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 pages and very few mentions of calcium and alk. If you want to keep coral successfully, you should start testing these regularly along with mg and maintain stable levels.

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 pages and very few mentions of calcium and alk. If you want to keep coral successfully, you should start testing these regularly along with mg and maintain stable levels.
The guy stated several times he needs to have LFS check those as he does not have those kits.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy stated several times he needs to have LFS check those as he does not have those kits.

Yes, and my suggestion would be to purchase the kits and test regularly if he wants to keep coral. Otherwise, we can probably fill up a few more pages with guesses.

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and my suggestion would be to purchase the kits and test regularly if he wants to keep coral. Otherwise, we can probably fill up a few more pages with guesses.
You know some people don’t test. And those tanks do well. I don’t test. And all three of my hammers just gained another head. I randomly bring water into my lfs to have them test even though I own the test kits. Which I agree having those tests kits around is nice for when something seems off and I need to test right now.

@TrevorL i suggest buying test kits other than API because those things are notoriously off

OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TrevorL start doing 10-20% water changes weekly vs biweekly. Smaller tanks also fluctuate more this is why more frequent water changes are helpful.

Do you have a ATO (auto top off) if not I would also look into one of those. This way as your water evaporates rodi water is added keeping your salinity the same.
Will do!

OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know some people don’t test. And those tanks do well. I don’t test. And all three of my hammers just gained another head. I randomly bring water into my lfs to have them test even though I own the test kits. Which I agree having those tests kits around is nice for when something seems off and I need to test right now.

@TrevorL i suggest buying test kits other than API because those things are notoriously off
Yeah I’ve been looking to get better test kits and more test kits

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relying on an LFS to do your testing is a recipe for failure, as is not testing. Can it be done? Sure. But I guarantee you the failure rate is much higher than those who test regularly themselves. Owning your own test kits are not just a luxury in this hobby. They are a necessity when it's well established that your typical LFS cannot be trusted.

You can get a Salifert Ca+ and Alk for about $16 a piece. Hanna for Alk is best, but more of an investment at $50.

Invest the $35.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relying on an LFS to do your testing is a recipe for failure, as is not testing. Can it be done? Sure. But I guarantee you the failure rate is much higher than those who test regularly themselves. Owning your own test kits are not just a luxury in this hobby. They are a necessity when it's well established that your typical LFS cannot be trusted.

You can get a Salifert Ca+ and Alk for about $16 a piece. Hanna for Alk is best, but more of an investment at $50.

Invest the $35.
If we all tested what would we have to do on this forum? I think testing is a part of growth in this hobby. I’ve been at it for a decade but I spent the first half not testing or understanding any of it. I learned that any success I had was complete luck. Until I tested regularly, my system was frustrating because I was ignorant to my hobby. What do people think when they have a reef tank in their home, that it will just work itself out because you add rock water and salt?

One day I thought about my reef as if It were me and I was going to the moon, essentially what I did to these fish and coral. I realized I was neglecting very important factors for my reefs health. Sure I had the ingredients for them to “survive”, but reefing is like baking and I was always having issues. Testing allows people to have a heartbeat on their reef. I think it takes a certain amount of knowledge and understanding as well as experiences before people grasp testing. It is not simple

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back