OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is tissue recession and likely due to either too much water flow or response to new lighting which you want to start low or acclimation setting and slowly ramp up

you have test readings with a few zeros which tells me you’re using API test kits?
They are known for false readings. Nitrate will become an issue at some point and you can place a small pouch of chemipure blue in your filter chamber to keep it in check. It will also reduce toxins and polish your water
I do use the api test kits and I do have a chemipure blue bag in my filter area. I acclimated my corals to my lights as best as I could. The good thing I like about the Biocube led hood is that it has multiple modes and timers and I have it where the moonlight lights come on at 7am and go until 8am and then the sunrise mode slowly ramps up to 9am and then I have blues, whites, and moonlight lights all on until 8pm and then sunrise goes until 9pm and moonlight stays on until 10pm and fully turns off at 11pm

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading through I don’t think your tank is ready for coral yet. Sounds like the tank is only a couple months old and was started with man made rock. How are your other corals doing?

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading through I don’t think your tank is ready for coral yet. Sounds like the tank is only a couple months old and was started with man made rock. How are your other corals doing?
oh yea, good point. The age of the tank is important.

How old exactly is your aquarium?

OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_7309.MOV
    14.2 MB
  • C6AA4C01-66D7-4725-BF2A-47566F9FB1B6.jpeg
    C6AA4C01-66D7-4725-BF2A-47566F9FB1B6.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 28
  • BF07C7E2-BCB8-4683-84E1-C31986A211B2.jpeg
    BF07C7E2-BCB8-4683-84E1-C31986A211B2.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank in June and all my other corals are doing fine. I only have Zoas right now as my other corals but they are all fully open and growing very well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Moonlights best - 10p- 7a
Blues 7a-9p
Whites - 10-7p at 25%
red/ green 6 hrs at 4%
Take a sample of water to a trusted pet store and have them test the water for you and see what results they get
You will need better test kits that are reliable

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not agree stating his tank is not ready for coral yet.
How’s his coral doing? Young tank, inexperienced, used man made rock. I doubt there is a sufficient bacterial population to allow coral to be successful. Ca, Alk, pH, PO4, NO3 are all balanced by the work bacteria does.

OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moonlights best - 10p- 7a
Blues 7a-9p
Whites - 10-7p at 25%
red/ green 6 hrs at 4%
Take a sample of water to a trusted pet store and have them test the water for you and see what results they get
You will need better test kits that are reliable and hold off on stocking as your tank is barely mature for fish not to mention coral
I’ve had my fish and zoas for about 4 months and they’ve all been doing fine. This frogspawn is the first thing that is giving me a problem. I cycled my tank for 2 months before adding anything and took my water to my lfs and got them to test it and asked if it was ok before adding and they said it was.

OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s his coral doing? Young tank, inexperienced, used man made rock. I doubt there is a sufficient bacterial population to allow coral to be successful. Ca, Alk, pH, PO4, NO3 are all balanced by the work bacteria does.
The only coral that is giving me trouble is the frogspawn my zoas are doing very well. I used man made rock but used dr tims nitrifying bacteria in the beginning and cycled my tank for 2 months l. My lfs told me my water was good enough to start after that 2 months and that’s when I started adding fish and coral

OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate
Also important to know is Calcium and Alkalinity. Especially the stability of them - is it something you measure? Do you dose?
Yes I dose with reef complete, reef carbonate, and reef plus when I do water changes and that’s around every two weeks as I’m trying to get my nitrates down

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back