Why is my grape cristata torch coral white?

USAReefTank2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for my Grape Cristada Torch to be this color? About 6-7 months ago, I purchased what was labeled as a Grape Caistada Torch. It has not grown at all in the time we've had her, but all other corals seems to exploding and growing rapidly. We have her sitting in the middle region of the tank, with about 120 par. (We have a tall slim tank)

PH 8.1
Alk 10.5
Cal 470
MG 1440
Salinity 1.023
NO2 0
NO3 10
PO4 . 08

I've I cluded 2 pics, best that I can get before my camera fuzzes put. One at our day light setting, one on our night setting.

PLEASE HELP!

20220923_162134.jpg 20220923_162454.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are normally paleR looking imo. Probably the slowest growing coral I have kept outside of a pearly bubble coral

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oceanleaf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is your temperature?
E. cristata naturally grow in deeper and colder water, so they are not tolerant to warmer water.
I run my tank pretty warm in summer (26-27C range), and I can keep other Indonesian Euphyllia without problems, but my E. cristata always bleaches in summer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
USAReefTank2021

USAReefTank2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your temperature?
E. cristata naturally grow in deeper and colder water, so they are not tolerant to warmer water.
I run my tank pretty warm in summer (26-27C range), and I can keep other Indonesian Euphyllia without problems, but my E. cristata always bleaches in summer.
Tank temp normally sits around 77-78°. We had an AC malfunction and the house for really hot, like tank temp was reading 82, it stayed the same, thankfully we brought it down and nothing parishes due to it. At one point it was a very tiny bit deeper of some sort of light violet purple, but it's practically whote-ish now

Upvote 0
OP
OP
USAReefTank2021

USAReefTank2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this coral is bleaching from too intense light
We tried at the lowest par possible, sand level which is very low, and it didn't change at all in those 2 months. It seemed like an odd coral. Lol definitely unique!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
USAReefTank2021

USAReefTank2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are normally paleR looking imo. Probably the slowest growing coral I have kept outside of a pearly bubble coral
Maybe we have a slower grower. It will collect food particles and then pull in, it's getting plenty of food like all our other corals. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything that is not what it normally is supposed to do. Lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
USAReefTank2021

USAReefTank2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 is not enough to bleach them from my experience. It may not be ideal though
Do you happen to know what par it needs? Higher or definitely lower than 120? I've looked online frequently and cant seem to find hardly any info on these creatures. I'd love to know more! :)

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to know what par it needs? Higher or definitely lower than 120? I've looked online frequently and cant seem to find hardly any info on these creatures. I'd love to know more! :)

In the wild the tend to be deeper in the water (i.e. not the shallow areas where other torches grow) and often under other corals so no intense light. I would say you could try and put it lower but they typically don't get large or grow fast from my experience. I've kept them in much higher par numbers but I don't recommend that since elevated par drastically stunts euphyllia growth from my experience.

Upvote 0

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 is not enough to bleach them from my experience. It may not be ideal though
Absolutely, 120 is usually fine especially if acclimated properly. but, by the way it was worded (and i could be wrong!) 120 was a ballpark guess without a par meter, and because this coral is displaying classic symptoms of too much light, that ballpark guess was likely wrong. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
USAReefTank2021

USAReefTank2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, 120 is usually fine especially if acclimated properly. but, by the way it was worded (and i could be wrong!) 120 was a ballpark guess without a par meter, and because this coral is displaying classic symptoms of too much light, that ballpark guess was likely wrong. :)
Both our tanks are monitored by a seneye. Weird thing, after posting here for help, and adding a octospawn and a hammer torch to the tank, the torch I was worried about, now seems to be happier than ever and has extended testicles! Whoot whoot! :). The color still worries me but I can't find a lot of info for this type of torch online so we're juat flying by the seat of our pants on this coral

Upvote 0
OP
OP
USAReefTank2021

USAReefTank2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both our tanks are monitored by a seneye. Weird thing, after posting here for help, and adding a octospawn and a hammer torch to the tank, the torch I was worried about, now seems to be happier than ever and has extended testicles! Whoot whoot! :). The color still worries me but I can't find a lot of info for this type of torch online so we're juat flying by the seat of our pants on this coral
Our light isn't the best but every other coral seems to be thriving and rapidly growing and happy. We've had this torch at the top of the tank, on the bottom, and now she resides in the middle... My hubby said he did happen to find a lil I do that stated that they don't do well at all with shipping

Upvote 0

UGASealDawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With these guys, I find they are paler when they are more fully inflated. Makes sense since they are holding more water. See if you see better coloration in the evening and morning. If she is fully inflating then she is happy. I would try moving to less par maybe even shading a bit. IME, their coloration ebbs and flows a bit but I am more worried about extension and inflation. They do not grow fast in any circumstance though. Are you dosing any kind of trace elements for coloration - I use the KZ 1,2,3 and 4 to success. Just be careful not to overdose - a very little goes a long way with trace elements - I.e. I dose 5ml daily on a 200 gal system with daily 1% auto water change.

Upvote 0
Back