Why is my GSP upset when everything else is doing fine?

Ennvi

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have lots of corals and all are healthy, but my GSP rock is like 60% closed and hasnt fully opened for probably 2 weeks now, and algae has started growing on it :/ what on earth could be making it mad? The only thing that's changed recently is that i moved the powerheads, but i did that after it started being closed to see if it would help.

I tried cleaning it with a turkey baster to see if it was just debris, still hasnt opened. other corals are healthy and growing.

I did lose a toadstool around the time that the GSP started being mad, which makes me thing my water isnt good for soft corals, but I have 6 other softies that are perfectly happy. anyway, sorry if I'm rambling lol, it's just so weird that my supposedly unkillabke GSP is the only thing that's unhappy

20211028_121403.jpg

Avast

attiland

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have lots of corals and all are healthy, but my GSP rock is like 60% closed and hasnt fully opened for probably 2 weeks now, and algae has started growing on it :/ what on earth could be making it mad? The only thing that's changed recently is that i moved the powerheads, but i did that after it started being closed to see if it would help.

I tried cleaning it with a turkey baster to see if it was just debris, still hasnt opened. other corals are healthy and growing.

I did lose a toadstool around the time that the GSP started being mad, which makes me thing my water isnt good for soft corals, but I have 6 other softies that are perfectly happy. anyway, sorry if I'm rambling lol, it's just so weird that my supposedly unkillabke GSP is the only thing that's unhappy

20211028_121403.jpg
Maybe chemical war fare but don’t worry it will come back even when you don’t want it to

OP
Ennvi

Ennvi

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have encountered the same thing-- and hearing everyone else say it "grows lie a weed" only hurts my feelings. Lol!
right same lol! this is actuslly the second time I've managed to kill a gsp colony, and then people call it a weed my only guess is that the other corals swipe all the nutrients faster, but idk

Corals.com

attiland

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
right same lol! this is actuslly the second time I've managed to kill a gsp colony, and then people call it a weed my only guess is that the other corals swipe all the nutrients faster, but idk
Now you have mentioned what are the water parameters?
Mine seems to like quite a flow.

Lerequin

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Same issue: my GSPs are closed since a week now. Everything else is doing fine.
I have 4 hypotheses :
- They close when the colony grows: an extension of the mat seems to have extended during the last week.
D2984FE9-DD5E-42C3-BE96-C37330A054C8.jpeg

- I overdosed All For Reef: the alk jumped from 8.3 to 10dKh :|
- Too much Iron? I started dosing Chaeto-gro (1mL a day for 140L though) 2 weeks ago.
- Phosphates are too low (0.03)?

AquaCave Logo Banner

moz71

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Following as i have same issue. Mine actually died off a lot when other corals doing fine! As much as other say can’t kill them I do believe there is something that does but will never get support! Lol. When I first got mine they were beautiful long bright green tentacles. For last year very short and lost about half the coral. However I have done lots of stuff to tank over time but it is false that can’t kill them because I am doing it. Lol

JumboShrimp

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
1F1A7FC6-57FB-475C-89D9-F9BFEBE6474C.jpeg

Maybe the trick is to buy them a littler larger. I bought this one large— probably because it is more of a “Gray” color that no one else wanted; and I’ve managed to keep it healthy. In the same tank I have a GSP frag the size of a quarter that won’t really take off growing.

A Piece of the Ocean for Every Reef Tank

Lerequin

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It seems that the colony extension could be what causes the GSPs to close.
After more than a week of growth, new polyps are opening on the extension and the polyps show signs of re-opening.
60C56744-423A-40F3-A3FE-3655890150F3.jpeg

It really looks like it oozed

Biota Marine Life